downloaded transfers do not automatically match

Options
djy1691
djy1691 Member

I am new to Quicken and not one of my downloaded transfers between savings/checking accounts or to pay a credit card balance will ever automatically match. TD Bank automatically transfers $25 from checking to savings monthly. In my TD checking account the category is listed as "TD Checking" even though it is reflected as a payment. In the savings account the $25 transfer is listed as "Misc Income". Why are then not connected as a transfer from one account to the other? Likewise when I use online banking to pay credit cards the payment from my checking account is not connected to the applicable payment in the credit card. Before I reconcile my credit card I need to edit the checking account to change the category to a transfer and then delete the downloaded payment. How can I download my accounts and have transfers properly connected?

Comments

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

What you have described is not how transfers are supposed to be setup. Currently, you are making an internal transfer back into the checking account FROM checking and in your saving account it is just a regular transaction against a category.

A transfer in Quicken should have the mating account's name as the category in square brackets. So, the checking account would have [saving] as the category and the saving account would have [checking] as the category. (change account names as needed)

Now, when the first transaction is created, Quicken will automatically create the mating/matching transaction in the other account.

Sounds like you might have a Memorized Payee(s) with the wrong category if they are being created incorrectly when the download is accepted.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

In case you have issues with transfer transactions not being generated correctly:

For best results manually enter transfer transactions into your register BEFORE you download transactions from the bank which contain the transfer confirmations. For recurring transfers use scheduled reminders and enter them a day or two before the due date.
    Be sure to use distinct Payee Names for each transfer / credit card payment to avoid confusing Quicken - memorized payee entries.
    That takes the guesswork out of the download process. Because a correctly entered transfer transaction already exists in your account registers, the download process should just match the downloaded transfer transaction to the existing one in both accounts.

This discussion has been closed.