Automatic assign category

Options
acha
acha Member

I have transactions called Myfax which came in from Amex uncategorized. If I assign a category to one of these, is there an update which will now categorize all transactions with the same name. And going forward when the next month's statement is synced, will this automatically be assigned the category.

Tagged:

Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Assuming Myfax is the Payee in the transaction, then yes, you can use the Memorized Payee List to assign a Category to the Transaction each time that Payee is downloaded.

One way to do this is to right click on a transaction you have entered with the desired Category assigned and click on Memorize Payee …

There are several settings that control how this works; please post back with an example if it does not appear to work for you.

QWin Premier subscription
  • acha
    acha Member
    Options

Thanks Jim.

I assigned Myfax to a category "Fax" and memorized the Payee "MyFax". Now I want to run a tool to go through the records and assign all occurrences of "MyFax" to the category Fax.

Is there a method to do this

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Have you checked out Find and Replace? Or I think you can run a payee report for Myfax and change them there.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• acha
    acha Member
    Options

Yes that worked. Thanks. Did a find and then replace in Category in results of the Find. Since this is now memorized hopefully the next download MyFax will automatically get a category.

This discussion has been closed.