Clearing transactions from my bank

Options
Dr J G
Dr J G Member ✭✭
FSB of Hegewisch clears some of the transactions during One Step Update, but not all. Specifically, it does not clear the checks that I enter in Quicken. Transactions that come through the bank, such as Interest or Direct Deposits do clear. This has been going on for a long time, and it is frustrating. Any suggestions.

Best Answer

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

"I guess I'll have to try Quicken support, but I'll probably get the same suggestions"

No, if they find that the problem is on the bank's end - a change not communicated - then they can ask their aggregator (Intuit) to fix the script that actually goes to FSB to collect your informtion.

Answers

• Tom Young
    Options

Do you have the Account set up to automatically accept downloads into the Account's register? (Check the Online Services tab in the Account Details window.)

If so, change that Automatic Entry to "Off" so that transactions first appear in the Downloaded Transactions window below the register and see if the manual entries of checks show up as a "Match" such that accepting them will put the "c" in the Clr column. I seem to remember Automatic entry sometimes affecting this.

• Dr J G
    Dr J G Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thanks for the response, Tom. I tried setting the automatic entry to off. Closed Quicken and restarted. It still did not pick up my transaction that cleared the bank.
  • Tom Young
    Options

So I take it that the transactions ARE appearing in the Downloaded Transactions window, but Quicken isn't recognizing them as a Match? Can you right-click a downloaded transaction and manually connect it to the correct transaction in the register?

If you were expecting that previously downloaded transactions that didn't have the "c" in the Clr column would become cleared by this process, I really wouldn't expect that to work. The matching and the clearing happen on a download by download basis.

• Dr J G
    Dr J G Member ✭✭
    Options
    No, the transactions are NOT downloading. That seems to be the priblem.
  • Tom Young
    Options

Oh, it's a "downloading" problem, not a "clearing" problem. I was working under the assumption that downloads were occurring but not being matched. But the real problem is that transactions initiated by the bank are being downloaded to Quicken, but transactions that you initiate - deposits and checks, presumably - aren't being downloaded?

Did downloading use to work properly, but at some point stopped working properly? Have you tried Resetting the Account? Have you tried deactivating and re-activating the Account? (Backup first.)

This bank uses the EWC downloading method and that method does seem to be pretty error prone. As I understand the situation, banks that use EWC are supposed to alert Quicken (the company) if they make changes to their system on their end that might affect downloading, but sometimes they don't do that. But if downloading used to work properly and now it doesn't, it sounds like something did change on their end of the pipeline.

This, ultimately, might require that you get in touch with Official Quicken Support here to get this fixed properly.

• Dr J G
    Dr J G Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thanks again, Tom. I have had this problem for a while. I've tried all of those things suggested. I guess I'll have to try Quicken support, but I'll probably get the same suggestions. ☹️ I may try your suggestions again and see if anything changes. Thank you for your time.
  • Tom Young
    Answer ✓
    Options

"I guess I'll have to try Quicken support, but I'll probably get the same suggestions"

No, if they find that the problem is on the bank's end - a change not communicated - then they can ask their aggregator (Intuit) to fix the script that actually goes to FSB to collect your informtion.

• Dr J G
    Dr J G Member ✭✭
    Options
    Tom,
    I reset the account, and this time it downloaded my transactions. Some were a match and some I had to match manually. Now I'll see if things are back to normal after I set up my next round of payments. Thank you again for your help. Jay
  • Tom Young
    Options

@Dr J G

I'm happy you got this working, but it just doesn't make sense to me why the downloads were so "selective" before. As I understand it the aggregator is supposed to go "fetch" transactions, which presumably are all sitting more or less in the same place in the Financial Institution's computer system, and deposit them into Quicken. Very odd.

• Dr J G
    Dr J G Member ✭✭
    Options
    I agree. We'll see if it continues to work.
This discussion has been closed.