Account converted. Old account still has securities balances & wont close

Options
NickOfTyme
NickOfTyme Member ✭✭
Account was converted to I-Shares (seperate/different account type & number.)
Causing errors with one step update because the old account is no longer in the broker side. What if I just go into account details and deactivate?) Deletion seems drastic. Everything is a done deal on their end. Thanks for help

Best Answer

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

You left out entirely the "seperate/different account type & number" here, but I'll guess that is still part of the equation.

I'm guessing the old Account was full of mutual funds, T.R.Price has "equivalent" ETFs (more or less) for each mutual fund, you or T.R.Price converted all the mutual funds into their "like kind" ETFs and put all these ETFs in a new account at T.R.Price, effectively zeroing out the old account.

This pattern, if it's correct, could have been easily mimicked in Quicken either by using either the "Mutual Fund Conversion" action or the "Corporate Acquisition (stock for stock)", then either continuing to use the old Account by disconnecting it from T.R. Price, entering the new account #, and then connecting the Account back to T.R. Price, or by using the Transfer Shares Between Accounts action to move all then new ETF securities to the new Account, at which point you'd disconnect the old Account and connect the new Account.

At this point if you're satisfied with the information in the new Account and want to keep the old Account around without doubling your net worth, then you could go into the old Account and do a "Remove" action for each old mutual fund or, using the Gear Wheel, do an "Update share balance" for each old mutual fund, specifying 0 shares, and Quicken will enter the Remove for you.

Answers

• Tom Young
    Options

Some more detail about what really went on here would be helpful. My impression, based upon what you've written, is that some or all of the securities in the old account were liquidated, the money, (and maybe some securities?) was moved to a new account, maybe even with a different financial institution, and the money from the old account was used to buy I-Shares. Is that a fair (or close) representation of what happened?

What financial institution held the old account, what financial institution holds the new account?

If I'm somewhere in the ballpark about what went on here, then one comprehensive sequence of entries in Quicken would be:

1. Create a new Quicken Account, setting it up as an offline Account initially.
    2. Sell in Quicken whatever securities were actually sold in the "real world."
    3. Transfer the money and any unsold securities to the new Account. This would leave the old transactions in the old Account to be referred to later, if necessary.
    4. Disconnect the old Account from downloading.
    5. In the new Account use the money to buy whatever I-Shares were purchased.
    6. Connect the new Account for downloading

Another approach would be to simply disconnect the old Account from downloading, change the Financial Institution and Account Number information to the new(?) Financial Institution and Account Number, and then connect the Account for downloading.

There are other approaches you could take too, depending on what you accomplish. If you don't care retaining any detail level information about the old Account and simply want that Account to "go away", to be replaced in effect by the new Account and new securities, that can be done too.

• NickOfTyme
    NickOfTyme Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thank you for your response. Shares were converted within the same brokerage = T.Rowe Price. They were converted from regular class to I-Shares, Dollar amount closely matches old shares, initially. Different type of shares, different account thus no activity beyond initial conversion. I;m answering my own question, perhaps. The old account has all the history (old type shares) which I'd like to keep just for reference. If I just disconnect from download I'll have double their value in my Net Worth. I believe if I close the old account it will zero the end amount but retain its detail. Might be the way to go.

I went to close the account and it insists I manipulate the security values therein to zero before it'll let me.
    I'm not willing to do that. I just want to zero the account, disconnect from download and maybe hide it.
  • NickOfTyme
    NickOfTyme Member ✭✭
    Options
    I disconnected the old account so T. Rowe Price will stop complaining I'm submitting a closed account. Still remains open for now.
  • Tom Young
    Answer ✓
    Options

You left out entirely the "seperate/different account type & number" here, but I'll guess that is still part of the equation.

I'm guessing the old Account was full of mutual funds, T.R.Price has "equivalent" ETFs (more or less) for each mutual fund, you or T.R.Price converted all the mutual funds into their "like kind" ETFs and put all these ETFs in a new account at T.R.Price, effectively zeroing out the old account.

This pattern, if it's correct, could have been easily mimicked in Quicken either by using either the "Mutual Fund Conversion" action or the "Corporate Acquisition (stock for stock)", then either continuing to use the old Account by disconnecting it from T.R. Price, entering the new account #, and then connecting the Account back to T.R. Price, or by using the Transfer Shares Between Accounts action to move all then new ETF securities to the new Account, at which point you'd disconnect the old Account and connect the new Account.

At this point if you're satisfied with the information in the new Account and want to keep the old Account around without doubling your net worth, then you could go into the old Account and do a "Remove" action for each old mutual fund or, using the Gear Wheel, do an "Update share balance" for each old mutual fund, specifying 0 shares, and Quicken will enter the Remove for you.

This discussion has been closed.