Changes in Scheduled Bills Change Bills Already in Register

Options
TLSellers
TLSellers Member

When I change a bill or income item that is scheduled in the future by selecting "Edit All Transactions," Quicken is going back and changing all the past transactions linked to that scheduled item and also changing those transactions. How do I get the Bills and Income changes to only change FUTURE transactions and not impact all my paid/deposited transactions that are already put in the register and reconciled? It's causing a lot of problems for me.

Answers

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

I'm not aware of seeing any reports from other users reporting that changes to a scheduled transaction have changed previously posted (Paid/Deposited) transactions. So let's dig into your situation to see if we can figure out what's going on.

First, just to verify: are those past transactions in black or in gray in your register? In other words, have you previously posted — marked as Paid/Deposited — those past scheduled transactions? If not, they are still scheduled transactions which will change when you edit the transaction; if you have, those past transactions should be completely independent of changes to the scheduled transaction.

Moving on, you mention "Edit All Transactions". When you're editing a scheduled transaction, are you doing it by double-clicking on the gray scheduled transaction in a register, or by clicking the ••• icon on the Bills & Income page? In either place, the option to edit the scheduled transaction is called "Edit All Instances" — is that what you're referring to? Or are you using Transactions > Edit Transaction?

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • TLSellers
    TLSellers Member
    Options

Thank you for responding.

On your first question, they are not gray, I marked them as paid/deposited. I agree with you, they should be independent.

On your second question, I am making the edits by clicking the ••• icon on the Bills and Income page and selecting "Edit All Instances…". I have never done it through a gray line in a register before. I have also had this issue when I tried to "Delete Series."

The most recent time this happened is when I modified the deductions in my paycheck, after I made the change in the series, all the allocations in my past paychecks (going back a year from when I started the job) were cleared out. The totals remained correct in the register, but all the allocations disappeared.

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

Well, that sure sounds like a bug to me from what you describe. I don't even know how it's possible, because once a transaction is posted, it should no longer have any connection to the scheduled transaction.

I deal with most of my transactions from registers rather than the Bills & Income screen, so I'd suggest trying that on one of your transactions to see it if edits correctly or not. Double-click on the gray scheduled transaction, and a small blue ribbon menu will appear under the transaction. Select Edit All Instances here, make your edit, save it, and see if the old transactions remain untouched. This works correctly for me; if it works for you, then you have a workaround for editing your scheduled transactions until this apparent issue with the Bills & Income screen gets fixed.

That said, I just tried editing a few transactions via the Bills & Income screen, and it worked as expected — it changed future transactions but not past ones. I tried ones with and without splits. So there must be something specific in what you're doing which is causing the problem. I'd suggest making a copy of your data file and finding a transaction which you edit and get the wrong result; then contact Apple Support and ask them to screen share with you so you can show them what's going wrong; they may be able to figure out what it is, or if not, document your case to elevate to the development team,

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.