is it possible to mass delete attachments for a given payee, category or other grouping?

Options
LandofCope52
LandofCope52 Member ✭✭
I would like to mass delete attachments for a given payee or other grouping. This could be per account or all accounts.
Tagged:

Comments

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Nope, one at a time. A good reason not to store attachments in Quicken.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• LandofCope52
    LandofCope52 Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thank you! I would like to see this as an improvement in Quicken.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Then you need to start a new "Idea" post. Make sure that you describe very clearly how it should work, otherwise if the Devs decide to add it, who knows what you might get. How downloaded loans are handled and presented or allowing pending transactions to be downloaded and included in the online balance are good examples of a bad implementation

• LandofCope52
    LandofCope52 Member ✭✭
    Options
    :) Great idea! Thank you! I'll do it.
  • LandofCope52
    LandofCope52 Member ✭✭
    Options
    Mr. Splasher. I would welcome your opinion. I'm thinking the Find and Replace panel on the main Edit option could be used. They could replace the hard coded literal "Replace" at the bottom of the Find and Replace panel with the literal "Action". The choices in the Action drop down box could be "Delete" and "Replace". The drop down box choices for the delete action could be "attachment" and possibly anything else that could be mass deleted (if any). There would be no choices in the "With" drop down box. It might also be good to include a filter for account. Would you care to comment? Thank you.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Sounds workable.

I don't store attachments in Quicken since it makes the file VERY large over time which makes backups slower and more disk hogs.

Keeping attachments in a separate folder structure outside of Quicken is IMO the best process. The fact that Quicken encrypts the attachments which means that you can only view them via Quicken, one at a time makes it an even worse process.

• LandofCope52
    LandofCope52 Member ✭✭
    Options
    Yes I discovered the space and backup slowdown issues. I've decided that keeping important transaction attachments is good and keeping non-important attachments is bad. So... now I have many to delete but Qkn doesn't make it easy to do.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

If you pull out copies of the important ones to an external to Quicken folder structure, you can remove ALL of them from Quicken when making a file copy using the process on the File menu. It would require that you re-establish the download connections in the "new" file, but the attachments would be gone.

• LandofCope52
    LandofCope52 Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thank you Splasher. Yes that would work. It would be some effort. Would need to carefully think it through to be sure I find all the important ones. It may be over my head. :-) But I'll consider it. I still prefer the idea of removing all "grocery" receipts and others. Thanks again.
This discussion has been closed.