How to handle Bills & Income Reminders - after a bank merger

Options

My credit union merged and my checking account where I had Bills & Income reminders closed. My new checking account has on 4 of the 25+ reminders. How do I transfer those over without having to manually enter each one again?

Tagged:

Best Answer

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

yeah - what exactly have you done in Quicken….
    There are a couple of different ways to address a "merger" -

Do you happen to have a Quicken BACKUP
    taken prior to the merger and whatever actions you did with Quicken,
    to maybe get back to a clean starting point - just asking at this point -

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

Answers

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I'm not sure I'm following along with you.

When you create a Reminder for a bill, one of the entries you make in the process is specifying the "From" Account through which the payment will be made. It sounds to me that in Quicken you created a new checking Account with the new bank and, somehow, 4 of your 25+ Reminders are now being recorded in the new Account. If my guess is correct then

1. I don't understand how this new Account got attached to any of your Reminders in the first place since, presumably, those Reminders still have the old bank's name associated with them and,
    2. I don't understand why you believe that the 25+ Reminders need to be re-entered.

If you had continued to use the old Account, with a new name and now associated with the new bank, then I believe those Reminders would have continued to work just fine. But there's no need to re-enter all the Reminders, you can simply edit them to associate them with a different bank Account in your file.

• jblock
    jblock Member ✭✭
    Options

Thank you Tom,

When you close the former checking account, since 2003, the Bill Reminders disappear and appear not to be able to transfer over to my new credit union checking account.

Is there a way to recover these reminders?

John Block

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

When you close the former checking account, since 2003, the Bill Reminders disappear and appear not to be able to transfer over to my new credit union checking account.

That's a new one for me.
    Used to be that you couldn't mark an account closed until all existing reminders had been manually edited or deleted.
    Are you saying that you marked an account closed and almost all existing reminders went poof without any further prompting dialog?

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

yeah - what exactly have you done in Quicken….
    There are a couple of different ways to address a "merger" -

Do you happen to have a Quicken BACKUP
    taken prior to the merger and whatever actions you did with Quicken,
    to maybe get back to a clean starting point - just asking at this point -

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• jblock
    jblock Member ✭✭
    Options

Yes, all bills and reminders when Poof.

Thanks for the suggestions. Bottom line manual entry looks to be the solution.

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Remember that you can use an existing register transaction to create a Scheduled Reminder from.
    Just right-click the transaction and select "Add reminder" from the popup menu … saves typing …

This discussion has been closed.