Asset Allocation Report - Closed Positions

Options
RoK
RoK Member
edited July 2023 in Investing (Windows)

I'm running the Asset Allocation report and noted that the report is showing a closed position. Not only showing a closed position but reporting that position as a negative number.

The position is a mutual fund where I sold off 100% of remaining shares in January 2023.

If I review holdings for the account that held this mutual fund - no shares are reported.

Here's what I've done so far to try and fix this issue:

1. deleted all sales transactions related to this fund. Then, re-entered each sales transaction. The final sales transaction I entered into the register as a 'Sell All Shares in the Account'
  2. Hide the Mutual Fund under Tools/Security List
  3. Set the share balance for this mutual fund to 0 using 'Enter Transactions/Adjust Share Balance'
  4. Ran 'Validate File'
  5. Ran 'Rebuild Investing Lots'

After each - and all - of these steps, the asset allocation report continues to show a negative holding in this mutual fund.

I'm using Win10 OS and a quicken desktop subscription.

Of course, I can customize the Investment Allocation Report and exclude this mutual fund. But, why do I have to take this extra step?

Any suggestions on how to fix this?

Comments

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Is it a tiny negative holding, as might result from a rounding issue, or something more significant?

Also go to Edit > Preferences > Investing, make sure the Show hidden transactions box is checked, and look for any Placeholders in the account that might account for the discrepancy.

Please let us know what you find so we can give further guidance if needed.

QWin Premier subscription
  • RoK
    RoK Member
    Options

Hi,

I verified that there were No Placeholders in the account. So, that's not what caused the discrepancy.

I re-ran the Asset Allocation Report this morning and noted that this Mutual Fund was reported on that report as follows (Note - < > indicate negative numbers):

Large Cap Stocks - <2,319.08> shares, 0.02 cost basis, <0.02> loss

Small Cap Stocks - <1,054.32> shares, 0.00 cost basis, <0.01> loss

Int'l Stocks - <939.94> shares, <0.02> cost basis, 0.04 gain

Other - <198.49> shares, <0.01> cost basis, 0.02 gain

I checked the security and I noted that in Edit Security Details, I had checked the Box for "Download Asset Class Information"

I unchecked this box and checked on Single Asset Class. Then, I arbitrarily assigned an asset class of 'Other' to this mutual fund.

I re-ran the Asset Allocation report - success. This mutual fund no longer appears on the Asset Allocation report.

I suspect that there's some error created in the db due to the downloading of asset class information from the mutual fund. Somehow, minor changes in asset class must leave some residual info on the db.

This is closed.

This discussion has been closed.