Find and Replace Category in Split Transaction

Options
bethwr
bethwr Member ✭✭✭

I've tried a bunch of things within the category window, but can't figure it out. I have a category called "health" that I want to change to a sub-category of something else. When I search the term, it shows the transaction (payroll deposit), but doesn't show the split where the category is located.

I know how to do a mass change when it's not under a split transaction, is there a way to do it when it's part of a split?

Thanks!

Comments

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

You can't do a batch change of transactions' categories within split transactions.

However, do you want to make category Health a subcategory of another category everywhere in your database? That you can do. Here's how:

1. Open the Categories window (menu Window > Categories)
    2. Locate the Health category and drag and drop it on top of the other category of which you want it to become a subcategory.
    3. When you release the drag, Health will become a subcategory of the top level category that you dragged it on top of.

You may have already edited some transactions and thus already created a subcategory "Health" under the top level category. If so, that's okay. When you drag the top level "Health" onto the other top level category, you will get the following message. Just click Merge Them and you'll be all set.

It's always a good idea to make a backup of your database before making major changes like this in case things go wrong.

Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

Based on your description, you don't need to find the actual transactions; you can just make the desired change to the categories. Open the Windows > Categories, click on"Health" and drag it on top of the category you want Health to be a subcategory of. Done! All the transactions in your database which were categorized as Health now reflect the category of [New Main Category]:Health.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.