Add more categories to Spending by Category Dashboard card

Options
jacobs
jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
edited October 2023 in Display/UI

The Spending by Category Dashboard card's usefulness is limited because it only shows the top 5 spending categories. Everything else is lumped into "Other", and for most people, "Other" is the largest category and a large percentage of the total. This is a simple request to increase the number of categories displayed in the card. The fixed height allocated to the Dashboard cards leaves this one half-empty; using that space for additional categories would make this card more useful.

The easiest-to-implement approach would be to simply increase from 5 to a fixed number such as 8 or 10. A potentially better approach might be to include all categories with spending greater than some percentage, like 5% or 3% of the total spending.

While I understand that the Dashboard is intended to be a quick snapshot/overview of various aspects of your finances, and the development team has tried to keep things simple to prevent information overload which users won't use, this is a case where a small tweak to show more information would make the existing card more useful. Other Dashboard cards show more than 5 items; this one should too.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
9 votes

Reviewed · Last Updated

Comments

• Austin@
    Austin@ Mac Beta Beta
    Options

You've got my vote! For the most part, I love the new dashboard, but the Spending By Category card feels like a step back from the equivalent chart on the old Overview. The old one showed more categories and allowed you to drill down into subcategories. The new card on the dashboard feels pretty limited in comparison. Since you can't drill down into subcategories (at least at the time of writing this), I wish at the very least that the report that opens when clicking a category on the chart would have the row set to "Category" rather than "Time" so you could easily see the breakdown of subcategories, since the point of the card is to break down spending by category in the first place.

• thereddane
    thereddane Member
    Options

Really need to be able to add categories to the Spending by Categories dashboard view. The Other category accumulates over 50% of the spending. Please allow this feature to be added!

• avic
    avic Member, Mac Beta Beta
    edited September 2023
    Options

Currently only the top five categories are shown, I'd love to see more categories.

I'd also like to see more top sending payees [Edited - Readability]

maybe make the number shown a user configurable preference setting?

[Merged Post]

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

@avic I completely agree about the desire for more categories in the Spending by Category Dashboard card; that's the topic of this thread a moderator merged your post into.

As for your other request regarding more Payees in to Top Spending Payees card, I'll just note that a recent update increased the number of Payees in that card from 5 to 11. For me, that made all the difference in the world; 5 wasn't enough, and there was space in the card readily available for more lines. For "top payees", I find 11 is generally good enough for a quick glance. I wouldn't object to them adding a scroll bar so more Payees could be shown, I'm just saying it's not as big deal to me as it was before they doubled the number of Payees. Are you saying that you find 11 Payees is inadequate?

The developers have indicated that they are trying to balance what users might want with keeping the Dashboard relatively simple without adding too many customization options which might overwhelm some users. (We're still waiting for them to deliver a way to specify which accounts are included — particularly for a card like Income & Expense, where many users want to exclude retirement or all investment accounts — and for a way to deal with more than a single currency.)

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993