Can I hide securities no longer held?

Options
EmKay
EmKay Member ✭✭✭✭
edited July 2023 in Investing (Windows)

I did a search for this and all the answers seemed to relate to Quicken for Mac. I'm on Windows v R50.8, and would really love to be able to hide, at least in reporting, all securities which are no longer held. Is it possible to do this EASILY?

Quicken Classic Premier (Windows) R52.33

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Do TOOLS, Security List … and there's a HIDE checkbox for every security

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Portfolio views offer the option to Show or not show closed positions.

Reports can be a different story depending on applicable time frames and the specific report.

• EmKay
    EmKay Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@NotACPA Yeah, I knew about this - but there are LOTS. Probably at least 100 total securities to wade through and, with speed being an issue for me, in the application, I had hoped that whatever the Mac version had could be replicated to Windows. There are securities that I haven't owned in 20 years still in my list, and they all show up when choosing securities in reporting. Plus, as I just discovered - I'm apparently downloading quotes, still, for most of them!

@q_lurker (Not sure why it's not tagging you) - thanks. I noticed that but I wanted a report or export of the data from the Portfolio and, once you move to reports - no option to hide the closed securities.

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

You can print or export the information in a Portfolio view by setting up the view you want then going to File > Print portfolio or hitting Ctrl-P.

This makes it easy to construct a list of the securities you currently hold, then you can go to Tools > Security List and check the Hide box for everything that is not on the list.

QWin Premier subscription
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Not sure it helps with the large task you have now, but going forward consider hiding securities as you close out a position. Alternatively, I rename my closed out securities to start with “Z” so they sort to the bottom of the security list.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I wanted a report or export of the data from the Portfolio and, once you move to reports - no option to hide the closed securities.

If I were switching from a Portfolio View to a report, most likely I would go to the Portfolio Value Report. For me, that report only shows current holdings.

A Portfolio Value & Cost Basis report also shows only open positions (plus a very few closed positions with a penny-sized resudual cost basis I have not yet addressed). If I ask for intervals to be presented, holding held at the end of the specified intervals but not currently held are included in the report. That is wholly reasonable. Same applies for the Asset Allocation Report (intervals not applicable).

What report specifically are you trying to work with that is showing closed positions?

• EmKay
    EmKay Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@q_lurker (now tagging works!) - I believe I was trying to see gains/losses, but for a specified time period, via reporting. Even though I was specifying a time outside when many of my securities were held, the formerly-held securities still appeared in the report.

• EmKay
    EmKay Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Still kind of wondering why this reporting feature (an option to hide no-longer-held securities) in the Mac version has not been added to the Windows version! Is there a "feature request" page, for Quicken?

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2023
    Options

It IS in QWin … see the HIDE option for each security on the Security List

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

(Tagging people can be quirky in this forum. Starting the tag from scratch is usually fine, but trying to insert a tag amid other text is hit and miss.)

the Capital Gain/loss report summarizes sales of securities, realized gains/losses. That is wholly independent of current holdings.

Either the Portfolio Value Report or the Portfolio Value & Cost Basis Report presents unrealized gains and uses only current holdings (my prior citations).

There is an “Idea” section of this forum for offering feature requests.

• EmKay
    EmKay Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

»It IS in QWin … see the HIDE option for each security on the Security List

But the Mac version has the option to do this in reporting, I believe, without having to individually hit each of your (potentially many many) securities.

This discussion has been closed.