New Shortcut - Export a full budget to a CSV (Q Mac)

Options
ericg
ericg Member ✭✭✭✭
edited October 2023 in Budget and Planning Tools

I would like to see a MacOS shortcut added which would allow me to export a full budget to a CSV. There are

2 votes

Reviewed · Last Updated

Comments

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

It only requires two mouse clicks, but if you do this often enough that a shortcut is important to you, you can create such a keyboard shortcut yourself. 😀

MacOS allows users to create keyboard shortcuts for any menu option in any application.

• Go to System Settings > Keyboard > Keyboard Shortcuts > App Shortcuts (in older versions of macOS, if you're not on Ventura, select System Preferences > Keyboard > App Shortcuts).
    • Click + to add a new shortcut, and select the application (Quicken.app)
    • Specify the menu command: Budget to CSV File.…
    • IMPORTANT NOTE: There's a mistake in Quicken the menu command; it should end with an ellipsis, which is three dots … that you create by pressing Option-colon (Option :). But the mistake in Quicken is that there's an extra period before the ellipsis in the Budget to CSV File menu command, so you must type a period and then … to exactly match the menu command. Or just copy and paste from here: Budget to CSV File.…
    • Then select whatever unique key combination you want for this keyboard shortcut, such as Command-Option-X.

After creating the App keyboard shortcut, you will see that the menu command in Quicken when you select File > Export will show the keyboard shortcut you've just created:

The key to creating custom app keyboard shortcuts is that you must type the name of the menu command exactly the way it appears in the application.

Note that you have to open your budget for the keyboard command to work; it will be grayed out in the menu if you are viewing a register or other screen in Quicken.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • ericg
    ericg Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2023
    Options

That get part way to what I want. However, it still requires me to manually select the budget to export and then manually type the keyboard shortcut myself. With the Apple Shortcut I was referring to, I could use Apple's automation features to script the selection and export of a budget.

I do not want manual solutions regardless of how few keystrokes or mouse clicks they are.

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

However, it still requires me to… manually type the keyboard shortcut myself.

So you're saying you want something simpler than typing a single keyboard command? What would that be? Speaking a command to Siri?

I do not want manual solutions regardless of how few keystrokes or mouse clicks they are.

What's the difference between invoking a one-keystroke "manual solution" and a shortcut? I'm just trying to understand how a shortcut makes it less work.

In any case, if you create a keyboard command for exporting the budget, couldn't you just create a shortcut to invoke the appropriate keyboard command?

In the big picture, Quicken Mac has never embraced macOS automation tools — from its start, modern Quicken Mac never had AppleScript support — so I doubt adding automation support is high among the many priorities for the developers. And if they wanted to add shortcut support, I'd think it would be for more complex actions or things people do constantly, rather than something more infrequent like exporting a budget. Just my 2¢…

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • ericg
    ericg Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Please take a look at https://support.apple.com/guide/shortcuts-mac/intro-to-shortcuts-apdf22b0444c/mac

A shortcut, by this definition, on macOS is something that I can use to script and automate the exporting of the full budget to CSV.

I can make this process automatic and integrate it with other scripts to do whatever it is I need to do.

• ericg
    ericg Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Additionally, Apple has some good videos on this topic which can be viewed at:

https://developer.apple.com/videos/all-videos/?q=shortcut