I am running Quicken 2001 - tried to upgrade - issues (edit)

Options

A feature that I used with the 2001 edition for transferring shares of securities in-kind to another account seems to have disappeared. So I began updating using the process of using 2004 deluxe and then 2013 deluxe. Somewhere along the way I messed up all of my data files, and 2004 can't open them, and doesn't seem to convert them. When I restore from a backup (depending on which backup) sometimes I get a "Quicken successfully restored your file" message, and to open it from the file menu. When I do that I get the message "cannot open file". When I validate the file, I get the message "this file needs conversion". What would I need to try next? I've been using the 2001 deluxe edition to enter investment & checking information from various statements as far back as 1982.

Comments

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Did you get the issue resolved?

If not, the Support Article ( https://www.quicken.com/support/how-and-when-use-intermediate-version-convert-older-versions-quicken ) states that QWin 2004 has not been tested with Windows 10. So, it could be possible that QWin 2004 will not install and run properly with Windows 10.

Have you tried to reinstall QWin 2004 with Windows 10 in compatibility mode? That might work when it doesn't work in standard mode.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11)

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

"A feature that I used with the 2001 edition for transferring shares of securities in-kind to another account seems to have disappeared."

I'm reading that as "I still use the 2001 edition of Quicken and an (undescribed) feature has changed."

Off hand I can't think of how a functioning feature in a program that's obviously worked for a long time could change, unless somehow the program itself got damaged, though I wouldn't expect program damage could be so precise that the program still functions except for the feature. But the first attempt to correct program damage would probably be an uninstall/reinstall, assuming you still have the program disk.

What feature disappeared?

This discussion has been closed.