Add categories display to downloaded transaction window?

Options
jakewho
jakewho Member ✭✭

Is it possible to add a categories column to the downloaded transactions window? This would make it much easier to determine if it is okay to "accept all" transactions.

Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2023
    Options

This sounds like a good idea, but it is not clear when it should apply. The downloaded transaction window already shows the results of any Payee renaming. Quicken can assign Categories to downloaded transactions automatically based on its built-in payee list, but also based on your Memorized Payee list and matching transactions that are already in the register.

Do you think this should apply only to Categories that Quicken would assign automatically?

QWin Premier subscription
  • jakewho
    jakewho Member ✭✭
    Options

I would think all of the different scenarios for how the category is about to be assigned should be displayed. This would allow users to make an informed decision about whether or not it is okay to "accept all," or if this going to result in an incorrect category being assigned to one or more transactions.

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

When you are trying to "accept all" downloaded transactions … are these downloaded transactions all creating new register transactions or are they matching to already existing, properly categorized transactions?
    In the event of new transactions being created, I recommend you click each downloaded transaction one after the other. Look at the new register transaction which is about to be created. Make corrections to Payee Name, Category, etc. as needed and then click to accept each one.
    This will help build Renaming Rules and Memorized Payee List entries as needed and make it easier in the future, reducing the number of incorrectly created transactions.

• jakewho
    jakewho Member ✭✭
    Options

I have clicked each individual transaction in the past to verify Payee Name, Category, etc. But I don't want to continue to have to wade through hundreds of transactions from my checking account / debit card. I would prefer to just accept all of them, after I download them from my bank.

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Another option for dealing with large numbers of downloaded transactions is to go to Preferences > Downloaded transactions and check the "Automatically add to banking registers" option. You can also set this option on a per account basis if you want.

With this option selected, Quicken will do its best to match downloaded transactions to those already in the register or create new transactions using Renaming Rules, Memorized Payees, and automatic categorization. These transactions will have blue dots next to them until you edit the transaction to correct any errors or mark them as Reviewed.

I don't do this because I prefer to review and if necessary edit each transaction as it comes in, but the automatic entry option is available if you want to use it.

QWin Premier subscription
This discussion has been closed.