Downgrade Quicken Deluxe to Quicken Standard (Starter)

David Potter
David Potter Member ✭✭✭
edited July 2023 in Before you Buy

Hi Community

I have always used Quicken Deluxe. But as things are tight cash wise I am thinking of downgrading to Quicken Standard as I don't need the investing tools or Retirement planning tools. However, I have multiple accounts for Cash and Assets. I would also like to continue using the Budget planner.

Can anyway identify any issues with this idea? Is there a trial version of Quicken Standard I could download to test things out?

Thank you.

Best Answers

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

There is no such thing as Quicken Standard, only Quicken Starter. You can downgrade from Deluxe but Starter goes to Read Only if you let your subscription expire. Also, it supports Simple Monthly Budgeting.

Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2023 Answer ✓

@David Potter - You can downgrade to Starter at any time in the 6 months prior to the end of your Deluxe subscription. When your Deluxe subscription expires it will automatically change over to Starter.

If you do not like Starter or it does not meet your needs, you can then upgrade to Deluxe, again. But you will need to then pay the price for Deluxe and the remaining time for your Starter subscription will be prorated and used to add more time to your Deluxe subscription. So, doing this might not provide the cash flow improvement you are seeking to get.

It's all the same software. The subscription simply tells the software which features/functions are to be turned off or on so there is no new software to download when changing subscriptions.

You can read more about this at https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-subscription-membership-faqs and look under Managing billing and auto-renew preferences.

But what you might want to consider doing is to shop around with retailers like Amazon, Costco, Walmart, Best Buy and others where you can save some money on the Subscription cost. They will sometimes have some very nice discounts with Deluxe prices offered that are near and even sometimes below what the full retail price is for Starter. If you go this route, you will get an Activation Code. Enter that code into your online Quicken.com account or in Quicken go to Help > Manage Your Subscription > Enter Activation Code.

NOTE: If you do buy from a retailer, make very sure that the discounted price is not for new subscribers only. If it says it is for new subscribers or new subscriptions only anywhere on the box or in the product description you should pass on the offer because it will not work for you.

Quicken Classic Premier (US) Subscription: R59.10 on Windows 11

Answers

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

There is no such thing as Quicken Standard, only Quicken Starter. You can downgrade from Deluxe but Starter goes to Read Only if you let your subscription expire. Also, it supports Simple Monthly Budgeting.

Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2023 Answer ✓

@David Potter - You can downgrade to Starter at any time in the 6 months prior to the end of your Deluxe subscription. When your Deluxe subscription expires it will automatically change over to Starter.

If you do not like Starter or it does not meet your needs, you can then upgrade to Deluxe, again. But you will need to then pay the price for Deluxe and the remaining time for your Starter subscription will be prorated and used to add more time to your Deluxe subscription. So, doing this might not provide the cash flow improvement you are seeking to get.

It's all the same software. The subscription simply tells the software which features/functions are to be turned off or on so there is no new software to download when changing subscriptions.

You can read more about this at https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-subscription-membership-faqs and look under Managing billing and auto-renew preferences.

But what you might want to consider doing is to shop around with retailers like Amazon, Costco, Walmart, Best Buy and others where you can save some money on the Subscription cost. They will sometimes have some very nice discounts with Deluxe prices offered that are near and even sometimes below what the full retail price is for Starter. If you go this route, you will get an Activation Code. Enter that code into your online Quicken.com account or in Quicken go to Help > Manage Your Subscription > Enter Activation Code.

NOTE: If you do buy from a retailer, make very sure that the discounted price is not for new subscribers only. If it says it is for new subscribers or new subscriptions only anywhere on the box or in the product description you should pass on the offer because it will not work for you.

Quicken Classic Premier (US) Subscription: R59.10 on Windows 11

• David Potter
    David Potter Member ✭✭✭

Thank you both. Sincere apologies for the delay is responding. I'll give Quicken Starter a try shortly.

Kind Regards

David Potter

This discussion has been closed.