MSIClean32.exe makes updates hang indefinately

Options
Richard174
Richard174 Member ✭✭✭

Windows Quicken Premier version R50.14. Whenever there is a quicken update when starting Quicken, the update process hangs at 90% complete. I then have to use Process Explorer to terminate quicken's program "MSIClean32.exe in order for the update to complete successfully. If I don't terminate MSIclean32.exe, the process will hang indefinately. When there is no update, there is no problem. It appears that MSIclean32.exe cleans up the system after an update, but it doesn't complete and terminate.

Comments

• Richard174
    Richard174 Member ✭✭✭
    Options

This sounds like it is the same issue as "ONGOING 5/18/23 Hanging during optimizing and executing files step during update".

• Richard174
    Richard174 Member ✭✭✭
    Options

39 views and no comments. Isn't Quicken program upgrades hanging for anyone else? As soon as I complete a 1-step update, the system tells me that there is a program upgrade available. When I choose to upgrade the program, the process hangs at about 90% complete. The program must be terminated in order for the upgrade to complete or it will hang indefinitely.

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2023
    Options

Isn't Quicken program upgrades hanging for anyone else?

It doesn't hang for me. It never has. MSIClean is a Microsoft program, so maybe there's a Windows setting which is causing this. Maybe a permissions problem, but I can only guess.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Richard174
    Richard174 Member ✭✭✭
    Options

MSIClean32.exe is listed in Microsoft Process Explorer as being a Quicken program, but I can't tell where the program runs from since it is apparently deleted after the program upgrade ends. I will have to search for it when the next upgrade hangs to see whether it runs from a quicken folder or a Windows folder. I can't think of ant settings in Windows that may effect how that program runs. I would imagine that only a Quicken programmer would know why the program runs and what it does and why it could hang. I will have to try to get this issue elevated. I've already had a 2-hour chat with Quicken support with absolutely no help. This has been effecting me for 4 months now. They knew less about it than I did.

• Richard174
    Richard174 Member ✭✭✭
    Options

FYI: from Microsoft Process Explorer site:

Our database contains single file for filename msiclean32.exe. This file belongs to product MSIClean Application and was developed by company Intuit. This file has description MSIClean Application. Agregate rating is 5(5) stars - based on 2 reviews.This is executable file. You can find it running in Task Manager as the process msiclean32.exe.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

MSIClean used to be provided by Quicken Inc as a separate download, but was removed with the statement that it wasn’t needed anymore because the Quicken uninstall program now does this. It sounds like what they meant by that was that it invokes it in the background during the uninstall. I have no idea why it would hang, but that sort of explains where it is coming from.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Richard174
    Richard174 Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Sorry it took me so long to respond to your message. I have no idea why it would hang either. After postponing the latest program upgrade for a few days, it was finally forced on me and the upgrade hung again. And again, I had to terminate MSIClean32.exe in order for the upgrade process to end successfully. MSIClean32.exe is not on my system between upgrades so it must be downloaded by quicken for an upgrade and then removed. I guess I will have to wait for the next upgrade and then start a chat with Quicken since no one in the Community appears to know what it is doing and why it may hang. I'll take a look at your web site.

• Udo
    Udo Member
    Options

My guess is the main trigger for success vs. failure is if your Windows User name has a space in it. I too have foraged through these forums to find a solution/workaround. Using Task Manager to kill the MSIClean32.exe process always works to complete the update. Per suggestions, I tried running the Mondo or Manual Updates to reinstall the app. But they failed with the error message "Could not parse the URL "laptop\AppData\Local\Temp\IXP000.TMP\current/wyserver.wys" - it's either malformed or is an unknown protocol.". My User name is (e.g.) "Bill laptop". Note that "Bill " was missing from the URL. I assume Quicken can't handle the space. Not so much the User name itself, but Windows creates a folder called "C:\Users\Bill laptop" (e.g), used to store a user's files. That's where the URL is pointing (incorrectly). As a test, I created two new Users with Administrator rights, "MyAdmin" and "My Admin", exactly the same way. I logged into each User, tried to downgrade to the previous version with a Mondo Patch and run the R50.16 update. The User with no space always worked, the User with the space always failed. After this effort I found a post in this forum (search for "Patch Error: Unable to check for updates, the server file failed to load"), which also specifies you should use a User name without spaces! 🤨 Now we just wait for the fix.

• Richard174
    Richard174 Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Bill, thanks for your response. I was on vacation from July 16th so I did not see your response until today. Your post is very intetesting and I will take a look at the user name as you have described. My Windows User name does have a space in it since I use my first and last name in Windows. I'll try to change it to my first name only and see what happens. I have reinstalled Quicken with the mondo patch without any problems, but I will look into changing my username anyway. I just looked and it appears that I can't change my username, but I can add a new user using just my first name. This already seems like it will be a major undertaking. I'll say more after I look into your information.

• Richard174
    Richard174 Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Bill, I took a close look at my Windows Account. I use my email for logging in. My username is "Richard". My full name is "Richard Schaefer" with a space. The username does not contain a space, so that is not the issue for me. Also, I never have a problem finding updates. My only issue is that when I do perform a Quicken program upgrade, the MSIClean32.exe hangs the operation. There is an upgrade available now and I will open a chat with Quicken before I execute it.

This discussion has been closed.