How to open older Quicken 2004 files (edit)

Options

Hello,

I have my old accounts at the 2004 version.

Where can I go to re download an older version of Quicken to open my older files please. I have lost what the pervious version to 2004 was.

Thanks Again

Richard Sherwood

Comments

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2023
    Options

Go here

https://www.quicken.com/support/how-and-when-use-intermediate-version-convert-older-versions-quicken

and click on the "If you are converting from Quicken 2004 through 2009" section.

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

There are some sites on the Internet where one can download old versions of software for free but I do not know how safe those sites are. If you are interested just do a search for the version of Quicken you want and see what comes up.

Another option, which I think would be safer one, is to search for the version you want on eBay. It is not uncommon to find old versions of Quicken there. But it is likely you would not be able to download them and will instead need to buy the CD.

But if you have 2004 already installed, why not just convert your earlier version(s) files to 2004? Quicken 2004 should be able to convert files made with 1998-2003?

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11)

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I'd go with @Tom Young 's suggestion, but ONLY if you can install the intermediate version of Q 2013 on a second computer. Do NOT attempt to install Q 2013 on the same computer as the one running your current version of Quicken (Q Subscription, I presume). You cannot have two versions of Quicken on the same computer, side by side. They wipe each other out.

Once you have installed Q 2013 on the 2nd computer, open or restore the Q 2004 file using Q 2013. Use Q 2013 to perform your research into the old data or backup the now-converted-to-2013 data file to a USB stick. Take the USB stick to restore the data file to your primary computer, but make sure you restore the file to a file name different from your current data file!

If you have more than one old data file with historical data that you might need in the future, convert these files, too and then access them on your primary computer.

In the future, if a new version of Quicken comes on the market and you install it, it would be a good idea to open all these files using the new version. This way all your data files are updated to the latest database format and will be accessible without further conversion efforts.

• barbrose
    barbrose Member
    Options

I have Quicken 2005 on my old computer with all my data. I want to put it on my new computer but don't know how to get the program on it since i only have a disc and don't remember the ID or password i opened the account with. How can i download Quicken on my new computer that put the backup on it?

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

You should at least try to convert to the 2013 version since you don’t use any online services or download transactions now.  Then it should run on newer versions of Windows.  Starting in 2014 they instituted an ID password to get into your own data. I’m staying on 2013.

2013 should run on Newer Windows.  You can download 2013 Deluxe for free using this how to convert article.  It’s under Converting from Quicken 2004-2009.  Click on the Blue words....Quicken 2013 for Windows in step 3.

https://www.quicken.com/support/how-and-when-use-intermediate-version-convert-older-versions-quicken

And FYI - If your Quicken was before 2010 you should have several files making up the data.  The main data file ends in .QDF.  All Quicken versions prior to QW2010 store your data in a series of files all sharing the same filename but with different extensions like  - .QDF .IDX, .QEL, .QPH  and all 4 of those files were rolled into a single-file .QDF starting in 2010. 

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• Richard Sherwood.
    Options

Hello All,

The email that I opened my comment to you did not work to get back in to you.

Thanks for all your comments back.

All I need to know is were can I down load an older/before version of quicken 2004

I see a web site that has the older versions "oldversion.com" but nervous of a virus

Has Quicken or other website any of the safe older versions that are safe?

I want to downgrade to open older files not upgrade

Thanks again,

Richard Sherwood

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2023
    Options

• just to clarify -
    • - How old are these Quicken files ? —- Are they OLDER than Q2004 - from which version ?
      - Are you not able to open them with Q2004 ?
      - What version are you actually running now ?

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Richard Sherwood. - More specific to your question:

Has Quicken or other website any of the safe older versions that are safe? I want to downgrade to open older files not upgrade.

No, Quicken does not have any of those older versions available for download. The oldest versions Quicken has available for download are Quicken for Windows Deluxe 2004 and 2013.

As I mentioned above and as you have noted, you can try to download from sites like "oldversion.com" but you really don't know what it is that you will actually be downloading so there is that risk.

There is no official "safe" website for downloading old versions of Quicken other than on Quicken.com and only for their 2004 and 2013 Deluxe versions.

You can search on eBay or Amazon to see if someone is selling an older version that you would find acceptable. But note that it would likely be sold as a CD, not as a download. If you do not have a CD/DVD drive, you might see if you can use someone else's (or maybe at a library?) to copy the CD to a thumb drive and then you can install it on your system.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11)

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Just download 2013 directly from Quicken as I posted above. It's free and will open/convert your 2004 or 2005 data files.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

This discussion has been closed.