A single entry in one QFX file shows up in two accounts?

Options
nhmartens
nhmartens Member ✭✭

I have two accounts in my Quicken database. The first is a savings account in my bank and the second is my Chevron credit card. I instruct Chevron to automatically withdraw payments from my bank account so, it generates an ACH withdrawal. I import my Chevron credit card transactions into Quicken. They all go into my Chevron Quicken account just as expected. Here's the question. Another transaction appears in my Quicken bank account for that payment and I don't see where Quicken gets that information. I have not imported any transactions from my bank account yet (they come out at the end of each month). I've included a PDF file with 3 headings: 'Bank' shows a Chevron transaction from a previous month's QFX that I get from my bank; 'Chevron' shows just the Chevron record in the current QFX file; 'Chevron QFX File' shows the entire Chevron QFX file. I'm trying to decrypt the field names in the QFX record but I'm not having any success. I hope you can help me out. Thanks.

Best Answers

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

It shows exactly what @volvogirl stated in her post on June 23 that you rejected. Quicken is creating a transfer based on the initial transaction. It is caused due to a Memorized Payee for the initial transaction that has the category of the second account.

Stop trying to find the issue in the .QFX file, it isn't there.

Change or delete the Memorized Payee and this will stop happening.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

See the brackets? That is in the Category column . They are the same transaction. That's what you want to happen. Then at the end of the month or when you download your bank account transactions it should match this one already entered from the Transfer.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

Answers

• volvogirl
    Options

That would happen if the category for the payment is a Transfer from the bank account. What category is assigned to it?

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

yeah … does the entry in the Category have “brackets” … [otherAccount].

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Look at the category in the credit card account. Is it the name of the other account in square brackets like [Saving]?

If so it is a Quicken transfer that moves money from one account to another.

Change the category to what is appropriate in the credit card account and the other transaction will disappear since it is no longer a transfer.

Why that is happening is probably due to a Memorized Payee for the credit card transaction with the incorrect category. Edit or delete the Memorized Payee.

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

In the PDF, those aren't a transfer … different dates & amts

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• nhmartens
    nhmartens Member ✭✭
    Options

This one confused me. Where do I find the category? And there's nothing in the QFX file with brackets.

• nhmartens
    nhmartens Member ✭✭
    Options

The transaction I showed coming from my bank was the what appeared the QFX file when I downloaded it. I knew that was the actual ACH transaction made by Chevron to deduct the funds.

Given that you agree this is not a transfer, my original issue stands. Quicken put a transaction in my bank account. Why?

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2023
    Options

Different Dates & amounts means NOT 1 txn in 2 places. Your Bank & Chevron exhibits are 2 separate txn.

• nhmartens
    nhmartens Member ✭✭
    Options

Ok, but you're still not understanding my conundrum. How and why did Quicken put that transaction into the Bank account? The only QFX file I imported was the Chevron file.

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Your BANK txn is dated 20230508
    Your Chevron txn is dated 20230607
    Your QFX file is dated 20230623

No one can answer your question with the info you've shown … the 3 simply don't go together

• nhmartens
    nhmartens Member ✭✭
    Options

Then stop looking at the big picture and focus on the part of my PDF file where I show you the entire Chevron QFX file and answer the question why a transaction showed up in my bank account after I imported the Chevron QFX file. It wasn't there before I imported the QFX file. I was trying to provide as much supporting information as possible. I guess I presented the whole forest and should have present just the tree.

• nhmartens
    nhmartens Member ✭✭
    Options

Maybe you weren't able to view my attached file. Here's what the QFX transaction looked like:

<STMTTRN>

<TRNTYPE>DEBIT

<DTPOSTED>20230607

<DTUSER>20230607

<TRNAMT>63.59

<FITID>F3941004Y00CHGDDA AUTOMATIC PAYMENT - THANK YOU

<NAME>F3941004Y00CHGDDA AUTOMATIC PAYM

<MEMO>F3941004Y00CHGDDA

</STMTTRN>

I don't see a tag called 'category'. I see one called TRNTYPE but it says DEBIT.

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Categories NEVER are part of a QFX file. They are assigned at the time of accepting a downloaded transaction into your Quicken account register.

What would really help us here, to determine what's going on, would be to have a look at a screen image snapshot of your Quicken account registers showing the transactions in question.
    Please save images to files of file type PNG, JPG, or GIF only. They're easier to work with than PDF files.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2023
    Options

It appears that you have gathered some log info from different points in time to show the types of transactions created.
    However, we can't really help - as the transactions don't match -
    There is lots of different info floating around - types of transactions, different points in time,
    along with missing the concept that Quicken itself is responsible for creating Categories
    and also for creating any suggested matching Transfers…

<STMTTRN>
    <TRNTYPE>DEBIT
    <DTPOSTED>20230508000000
    <TRNAMT>-62.60
    <FITID>2778
    <NAME>CHEVRON VISA - PAYMENT
    <MEMO>ACH, Withdrawal, Processed
    </STMTTRN>
    Chevron <STMTTRN>
    <TRNTYPE>DEBIT
    <DTPOSTED>20230607
    <DTUSER>20230607
    <TRNAMT>63.59
    <FITID>F3941004Y00CHGDDA AUTOMATIC PAYMENT - THANK YOU
    <NAME>F3941004Y00CHGDDA AUTOMATIC PAYM
    <MEMO>F3941004Y00CHGDDA
    </STMTT

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• nhmartens
    nhmartens Member ✭✭
    Options

Maybe I was being too helpful. I've been on the receiving end of a help desk myself for over 20 years so I tried to anticipate questions. I guess I only succeeded in muddying the waters. So, let's start over. Look at the attached PDF file and focus on the full QFX file from Chevron. How could that file generate a transaction to my Quicken bank account? I don't know what a screen shot would prove other than there were NO transactions in Quicken at all with dates later than 6/1/2023, before I imported the Chevron QFX file. When I imported the Chevron QFX file, the transactions in that file appeared in the Chevron account, as expected including one for $63.59. What has me scratching my head is an entry also appeared in my Quicken Bank account dated 6/7/2023 with a payee of 'Automatic Payment' for $63.59, exactly like the transaction in the Chevron QFX. And I could not see anywhere in the QFX file my bank account number. So, how did it know to put this transaction where it did? When I log into my bank account I see a transaction dated 6/8/2023 for $63.59 with a payee of Chevron Visa Payment. I know this is the transaction FROM VISA and it's not yet in my Quicken Bank account because I haven't downloaded my June transactions yet.

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

You have failed to provide us with a screenshots of what the registers (both of them) look like after this happens.

You are trying to put all of the issue in the .QFX file and its contents and it is probably how Quicken's setup (renaming rules, Memorized Payee) is reacting to the .QFX.

We need to see the end result.

We need to see the Date, Category and the $ columns at the right along the column headers. Being a former helpdesk type, you should be able to provide those images without any trouble.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

simple Q&A - just the transaction involved and the results seen -

Quicken tries to guess at what a transaction may involve - with respect to Category, Transfer, Memo or any other field that may have been previously used with the exact same type of transaction.
    Without seeing what Quicken "did" we have no way of guessing ….

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• nhmartens
    nhmartens Member ✭✭
    Options

Here's what my Chevron account looks like:

Here's what appeared in my bank account:

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

It shows exactly what @volvogirl stated in her post on June 23 that you rejected. Quicken is creating a transfer based on the initial transaction. It is caused due to a Memorized Payee for the initial transaction that has the category of the second account.

Stop trying to find the issue in the .QFX file, it isn't there.

Change or delete the Memorized Payee and this will stop happening.

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Also consider changing your preference for detecting transfers from automatic to ask for confirmation. Then you should get a warning before a downloaded transaction is made into a transfer transaction.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• volvogirl
    Answer ✓
    Options

See the brackets? That is in the Category column . They are the same transaction. That's what you want to happen. Then at the end of the month or when you download your bank account transactions it should match this one already entered from the Transfer.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2023
    Options

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

This discussion has been closed.