Columns: Can't Edit / Change on Mac. Just Me?

Options
alexjohnson
alexjohnson Member ✭✭

Using Version 7.1.1 (Build 701.49349.100), on Mac with Sonoma Beta. I appreciate this may be related to the beta, though I strikes me as very unlikely because all other functionality is unaffected.

I opened a new account and want to change the column views to match my other accounts. I don't do this very often: the last new account was in February and it worked then. Now, the Columns button at the bottom right of the regular window doesn't do anything The other buttons, e.g. Settings, work fine as expected. Going to Columns under the View menu, there is a tiny little empty gray box that opens, as pictured.

The other option, including the Register Toolbar option, works fine, as also pictured. (This is why I don't think running the Beta makes any difference; this is clearly not about drawing menu items per se.)

Has anyone else noticed this and if, as I suspect, this is a bug, what's the best way to report this to Quicken? Also, if someone from Quicken is reading this, it would be great to be able to apply a default set of views and column widths to all accounts instead of doing this manually.

Tagged:

Best Answer

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options

I'd guess it actually is because you're using the macOS Sonoma Beta, as this is not an issue with macOS Ventura that I've seen.

I don't know believe Quicken Support will deal with issues related to running on a beta version of macOS; the Support reps don't have access to computers running beta versions of macOS. Both Apple and app developers are testing and fixing bugs for Sonoma, and Quicken never comments on compatibility with beta OS releases. It's worth trying to alert the developers about a potential issue with the new OS, although it's very early in Apple's beta cycle, and I don't know when Quicken begins its compatibility testing. I think the best you can do is use the Help > Report a Problem screen as @RickO suggested above (knowing you will not receive any response).

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993

Answers

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited June 2023
    Options

Have you tried right-click on any column header? That's an alternate way to select columns.

To report to Quicken, you can click menu Help > Report a Problem. However, you won't get any feedback this way. The other option is to call or chat with Support.

Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options

I'd guess it actually is because you're using the macOS Sonoma Beta, as this is not an issue with macOS Ventura that I've seen.

I don't know believe Quicken Support will deal with issues related to running on a beta version of macOS; the Support reps don't have access to computers running beta versions of macOS. Both Apple and app developers are testing and fixing bugs for Sonoma, and Quicken never comments on compatibility with beta OS releases. It's worth trying to alert the developers about a potential issue with the new OS, although it's very early in Apple's beta cycle, and I don't know when Quicken begins its compatibility testing. I think the best you can do is use the Help > Report a Problem screen as @RickO suggested above (knowing you will not receive any response).

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • alexjohnson
    alexjohnson Member ✭✭
    Options

You are correct: I wouldn't have thought so but I was wrong. I have another Mac running essentially as a server so was able to install Quicken on that and remote into it to check, and I was able to adjust the columns on the version with Ventura. I had never seen a glitch like this that was so localized and specific before: you might get a crash, or a systematic UI glitch, but not one specific and seemingly arbitrary menu item not working, but that's clearly what happened. I will report the "problem," expecting that the devs will be going through these over the next three months anyway. Thank you for the prompt to double-check.

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

Probably the macOS service that Quicken uses to display a popup menu with checkboxes has changed somehow in Sonoma. The column chooser is the only place in Quicken I can think of that uses popup checkboxes. If there were another area, I'd guess it would be affected as well.

You may want to also report this in the macOS beta since it may affect other apps as well.

Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
This discussion has been closed.