Quicken for Windows crashing after update

Options
dleo97
dleo97 Member

I have updated this morning to the latest, then it crashes after it loads a bit. i tried the patch, uninstall reinstall, disabled firewall, all of it and it keeps crashing and i have sent in numerous reports.

Answers

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

As the banner that popped at when you started this question asked, what is the release of Quicken, Rxx.xx? "Latest" could be latest general release or it could be latest staged release., only the numbers will tell us what you really have installed. Find it at either Help→About Quicken or on the Details tab (xx.xx.xx.xx) of the Windows properties of the QW.EXE file. You can find the properties by right-clicking on the Quicken Icon, select Open File Location, then right-click on QW.EXE.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• dleo97
    dleo97 Member
    edited June 2023
    Options

well that would be great, thanks for pointing that out which i knew but it won't load so I can't check [Edited - Readability]

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Quicken crashes, hangs or loops at startup?

Please try this:

• Use Windows File Explorer to locate and rename your current Quicken data file. For example, if it's called Qdata.QDF rename it to QdataX.QDF
      Usually your file is located in your C:\Users\_your_username_\Documents\Quicken folder.
    • Having done that start Quicken as usual from the Start Menu or Desktop Quicken icon.
      If Quicken cannot find your current data file during startup it should just simply load the program and give you either a nearly blank menu screen or one that has options to start as new user, restore from backup, etc.
    • If you get to this point without Quicken crashing
      • click on File in the Menu bar. Select the Validate function. Select the renamed Quicken data file and see if Quicken can access and repair it.
      • If the data file is beyond repair, try to restore your data file from the most recent Manual or Automatic backup. Go back to restoring successively older backups until you find a file that works
        https://www.quicken.com/support/how-backup-or-restore-your-quicken-data
    • If you can't get Quicken to start at all,

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I supplied two methods of finding the release/version information, re-read the second part of my response.

or on the Details tab (xx.xx.xx.xx) of the Windows properties of the QW.EXE file. You can find the properties by right-clicking on the Quicken Icon, select Open File Location then right-click on QW.EXE.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• dangit12
    dangit12 Unconfirmed, Member
    Options

im having the same problem where I can't even make a new file.

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    Options

Hello @dangit12,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about this issue.  I'm sorry to hear you're running into this problem. Could you provide more detail about what is happening? Does Quicken open at all? If so, what triggers it to crash? If it won't open, what is happening (any error messages, does the icon appear on your toolbar, etc)? What happens when you try to make a new file?

Also, have you already followed the troubleshooting steps other users suggested earlier in the discussion?

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Senior Bill
    Senior Bill Member
    Options

I'm joining this thread… unfortunately… reinstalled, restarted, resupervalidated, re EVERYTHING!

Sometimes it works OK. Most times it crashes. If it does work, I've noticed inconsistencies in the program.

This is a very alarming situation.

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    Options

Hello @Senior Bill,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about this issue.  I'm sorry to hear you're running into this problem. When did this issue first start? Which version of Quicken were you using when the issue started? You mentioned it doesn't always crash, but does crash most of the time. Is there anything specific that seems to trigger the crashing? What inconsistencies do you see in the program when it doesn't crash? Do you keep your Quicken file on your C drive or is it on a shared network drive?  Is your Quicken file synced with any cloud service, such as One Drive or Dropbox (if it is, you will usually see the service name listed in the file location)? 

The simplest way to check your file location, if you have Quicken up and the file open, is to click on File, then look near the bottom of the list, just above where it says Exit.  It will list the file locations for the 4 Quicken files you have most recently accessed, with the one you are currently in at the #1 spot.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

When running file validation due to persistent crashes, you need to run BOTH Validate and Supervalidate, in that order.
    These are two separate processes. Each of them looks for and fixes different types of errors.
    What Validate cannot fix, Supervalidate might be able to fix, and vice versa.
    If nothing helps, restore your Quicken data file from an Automatic or Manual backup taken
    just prior to the problems first occurring. https://www.quicken.com/support/how-backup-or-restore-your-quicken-data

Validate and Supervalidate instructions
    First save a backup file prior to performing these steps
    Validate: 
    • Click File
    • Select Validate and Repair File...
    • Select Validate File
    • If the data file contains investment accounts also select "Rebuild investing lots".
    If you suspect that a damaged Quotes Price History causes your problems, also select "Correct investing price history" functions "Delete" or "Repair and Rebuild".
    • Click OK
    • Close the Data Log
    • Close Quicken (leave it closed for about 30 secs)
    • Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

Super Validate:
    • Click File
    • Press and hold both CTRL and Shift keys while you click Validate and Repair File...
    • Select Supervalidate File
    • Click OK
    • Close the Data Log
    • Close Quicken (leave it closed for about 30 secs)
    • Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

• Senior Bill
    Senior Bill Member
    Options

OK I've had some luck getting Quicken to run. I change compatibility to Administrator running XP SP3. The video messes up occasionally but it works most of the time.

And yes I put the files back on the user folder and NO I don't know exactly when it started crashing… probably a month ago after an update.

• KnnNike
    KnnNike Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Came here searching for answers…I updated to the latest version (R50.15) and it now crashes every time I attempt to open it.

• pauljfischer
    pauljfischer Member ✭✭
    Options

I am adding to this thread. upgraded to 27.1.50.16 this morning. Quicken hangs on startup. Shows the quicken banner but stops.

I have renamed my quicken data file. No change.

I have uninstalled quicken deleted the quicken folder. No change

ran windows compatibility checker. No change

I don't know what else to try

• dleo97
    dleo97 Member
    Options

i got a hold of support during chat, they sent me a file download that worked. now i just need to know how to remove myself from this thread and delete my support name thing because my email is blowing up. ugh

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

If you've "tried everything and nothing helps", restore your Quicken data file from an Automatic or Manual backup taken just prior to the problems first occurring. https://www.quicken.com/support/how-backup-or-restore-your-quicken-data

@dleo97 ,
    if you receive too many emails from the Community, customize your community user profile settings and turn off all email settings except perhaps those you might be interested in receiving.
    Click your user avatar (upper right hand corner of any Community webpage) to access account & privacy settings.

BTW, what file download did support send you? Others with the same problem might want to try this file, too.

• Senior Bill
    Senior Bill Member
    Options

Just completed a MS Win 10 Pro update. Now my Quicken crashes even after I got it running in Administrative/Xp SP3 mode. Since this problem seems to be unanswered, I'm now concerned that Quicken as a "business" is headed downhill.

This discussion has been closed.