Webview2 Runtime is not installed - Canada version R50.xx

Options
Danielle Dallaire
Danielle Dallaire Member ✭✭✭
edited October 2023 in All Things Canadian (Windows)

Hi there,

I have a problem with opening Quicken since the last update. It won't open because Microsoft Webview2 runtime is not installed. This is my version of Quicken :

So I click on the Install program and Edge Webview is downloaded. Now, if I click to install, this is the answer :

What is wrong now ? Can I uninstall the latest version so I can open Quicken right the first time ? It takes at least 4 times for me to finally get my file opened so I can work.

Has anyone else experienced the same problem ?

Thanks to you all for trying to find me a solution :)

Danielle

[Edited Screenshot to Remove Email Address]

Best Answer

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

these are the Microsoft comments I found -

How do I reinstall edge WebView2?
    To install or update the WebView2 Runtime:
    Go to page —> https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-edge/webview2/.
    Scroll down to section Evergreen Bootstrapper,
    Select Download > Accept and Download.
    Find the executable file in your Downloads folder,
    right-click it and select Run as administrator.

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

Answers

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

these are the Microsoft comments I found -

How do I reinstall edge WebView2?
    To install or update the WebView2 Runtime:
    Go to page —> https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-edge/webview2/.
    Scroll down to section Evergreen Bootstrapper,
    Select Download > Accept and Download.
    Find the executable file in your Downloads folder,
    right-click it and select Run as administrator.

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Jeff Kowalski
    Jeff Kowalski Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Same issue here, running Quicken under CrossoverOffice on LinuxMint.

I was able to workaround the issue by enabling full-screen emulation in Wine. It got my Linux install operating again.

That's not a solution, though.

• edstoneb
    edstoneb Member ✭✭
    Options

Same problem since last update. Some times Quicken loads and some times I get this message

• Danielle Dallaire
    Options

Hi,

I did as told. Now, let's see how it will unfold….

It seemed to work pretty well. Since then, no opening of the application has crashed… Thanks !

Danielle

• Danielle Dallaire
    Options

Hi there,

Told you I would be back with feedback. Well, I had a Windows update since we last chatted and the problem is back. I will try your suggestion again…

Danielle

• Danielle Dallaire
    Options

Hi there,

Sorry, it won't work. I still have a mention to download Edge Webview and I have done the method you proposed twice.

Somebody has another idea or do I have to push this problem up to Quicken Techs ?

Thank you

Danielle

• greggalf
    greggalf Member ✭✭
    Options

Hi I'm having this issue too, at first it was coming up occasionally now I'm completely blocked out, help please!

• rick7221
    rick7221 Member
    Options

Also have this problem. Come on Quicken help your customers!

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Danielle Dallaire ,
    you're running the Canadian version of Quicken on a Windows PC set to French Canadian, aren't you? You may want to check with Microsoft or google for language - specific instructions to fix Edge Webview.

@greggalf , @edstoneb and @rick7221 ,
    have you followed the instructions to install or fix Edge Webview, as posted earlier in this discussion? If necessary, have you asked Microsoft Support for help?

• Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Moderator mod
    edited July 2023
    Options

Hello All,

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report this issue, though we apologize that you are experiencing this.

We have forwarded this issue to the proper channels to have this further investigated. In the meantime, we request that you please navigate to Help > Report a problem and submit a problem report with log files, a sanitized data file, and screenshots (if possible) attached in order to contribute to the investigation.

While you will not receive a response through this submission, these reports will help our teams further investigate the issue. The more problem reports we receive, the better.

We apologize for any inconvenience! Thank you.

(CTP-7145)

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• daviddef
    daviddef Member
    Options

This is happening to me as well and as a result I cannot download and financial institution transactions. I am using Quicken Deluxe in the US.

• daviddef
    daviddef Member
    Options

The error message leads me to opening Bing and trying to download WebView2 Runtime but when the system tries to install it, it says it already installed and then quits.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2023
    Options

what action in Quicken is triggering this error message…. What are you attempting to do ?

From Microsoft… WebView2 uses Microsoft Edge as a rendering engine to display web-based features in a desktop application. By making use of WebView2, we can more easily provide your users with Office features that look and feel the same across device platforms.

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• daviddef
    daviddef Member
    Options

Finally was able to resolve by going to Settings > Applications and uninstalling the current version of WebView2 and then installing again. 😀

• David E Sands
    David E Sands Member ✭✭
    edited June 2023
    Options

The issue in question is Cannot run page because Webview2 Runtime is not installed error message.

I am running Quicken R50.50 Windows under Parallels Desktop V18.3.1 for MAC, and Windows 10 Home V 22H2. I downloaded and installed Quicken R50.50 Windows edition this afternoon at 4PM EDT and found that Quicken started normally. I was able to enter transactions into accounts but when I clicked to download from my financial institutions Quicken failed with the Webview2 Runtime failure. This is the second time I have not been able to download from my financial institutions. I have been unable to start Quicken at all in the last week many times. This is catastrophic. In addition to everything else it is almost the end of a month and the end of a quarter. This issue needs to be elevated to the highest levels at both Quicken and Microsoft. There is a huge group of Quicken users affected and extremely unhappy.

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    Options

Hello @David E Sands,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about this issue.  I'm sorry to hear you're running into this problem. The error message you mention is a Windows error rather than a Quicken error. Have you reached out to Microsoft for assistance with this issue?

Are you still having issues with Quicken not starting? If so, are you getting the same error message, or is something different happening?

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I wonder if this is somehow only happening with the Canadian version ?

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Danielle Dallaire
    Options

Hi

I was reading the different opinions on my discussion , and I decided to uninstall Webview via Windows Uninstall. Then I started Quicken again (after a backup, of course :) and nothing wrong happened. So I guess I don't need that app ? Quicken opens up more quickly and no problems at startup.

So maybe Quicken canadian doesn't need Webview2, or is it because I use Chrome as the main internet browser……….

Maybe somebody can see something interesting in this ?

Good afternoon everyone

Danielle

• Danielle Dallaire
    Options

update :

I use Outlook new version and oh oh, it needs Webview2 Runtime to run. It installed by itself. I closed Quicken and reopened it after Outlook did its thing.

So far, Quicken has no problem. But tomorrow is another day…. who knows what will happen.

Danielle

• bonneycc
    bonneycc Member
    Options

I have the same issue. I have already remove Webview2 Runtime and reinstalled the application. I have tried to install many different ways. Restarted multiple time and still the same issue. This problem started after the last update.

• FlyTyer
    FlyTyer Member
    Options

Having same issue - using Canadian version. I've uninstalled and reinstalled with no luck. Quicken for me is unusable now. Please advise of a fix.

• Brian Preston
    Brian Preston Member ✭✭
    Options

I have the same issue with Premier in a Win 10 VM on my Mac. No problems until 2 days ago. And a Q tech support call said it was a MS problem, yet Q asked me to download and install the "missing" software despite it being installed already when I try to do so. Q denies it's their problem and says call MS, and MS says it's installed and working properly. When Q tech support says they don't use that problem and they have no links or instructions to generate those messages, who am I to believe?

• quickmiik
    quickmiik Member
    Options

Same problem. Seemed to start happening after the last update. Quicken has a file WebView2Loader.dll in its program library so they must be having a problem calling the service (?) Whatever it is - please fix it soon !!

• quickmiik
    quickmiik Member
    Options

Renamed program files in C:\Program Files\Quicken\… that referenced WebView2: Microsoft.Web.WebView2.Core.dll → dlx and Microsoft.Web.WebView2.Wpf.dll → dlx and Quicken came up fine. Checking to see if everything is working … so far so good.

• KL101
    KL101 Member
    Options

I have encountered this problem since the R50.8 US release. At the time my laptop was running 32-bit Windows 7 Pro. Uninstall of Edge Webview2 Runtime caused me additional grief because Microsoft ended support of Window 7 and Edge Webview 2 runtime is no longer accessible for that OS. I upgraded the laptop's OS to 32-bit Windows 10 Pro. I have performed many install/uninstall of Edge Webview 2 Runtime via Quicken's error message procedure and through Windows Control Panel. Also I have manually updated Quicken multiple times as well. Quicken is currently at version R50.15. Edge Webview 2 Runtime is at version 114.0.1823.67. Microsoft documents multiple ways for an application to detect the presence of Webview. One of them is to check the registry and the other is to use GetAvailableCoreWebView2BrowserVersionString. Obviously, the developers are having problems with reliable detection of the runtime. Perhaps they should just embed a fixed version of the runtime. I don't mind the additional storage required for multiple versions of Edge Webview 2 Runtime as long as Quicken works!

• quickmiik
    quickmiik Member
    Options

Online updates may be a problem - still checking - but I can limp along like this until they get a real fix in.

• quickmiik
    quickmiik Member
    Options

Quicken was updated today when I started it - updated to R50.16. I was hoping this was a fix to the "WebView2 Runtime is not installed" problem, but alas, the update did not fix it. Same message from Quicken - same message when I executed the WebView2.Setup (already installed) - so I ran the Setup as administrator which seemed to download and re-install WebView2 Runtime. Did a Restart and still the same problem. So i went back to renaming (to disable) the C:\Program Files\Quicken\Microsoft.Web.WebView2.Core(or Wpf).dll files to .dlx which allows my Quicken to start and function and allow database updates, but doesn't like doing Online Updates or processing downloaded .QFX files. It's a partial Quicken but better than nothing. I'm sure Quicken support will have a corrective fix soon !!

• Danielle Dallaire
    Options

Hi,

Is this the Canadian version ? because my version is up to date and is R50.9.

Personnally, the message is showing 1 in 3 starts. So I can manage. I know some users have the message more than me. Why ? I don't know. But it seems that the fact that I use Outlook new version has helped a little.

Danielle

• quickmiik
    quickmiik Member
    Options

Hi Danielle,

Mine is Quicken Premier R50.16 - maybe the Premier version is different ?

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Please remember that there still are two separate versions of Quicken:
    - the US version (at R 50.16) and
    - the Canadian version (at similarly named yet different R 50.9)

Be sure to keep the two separate.

This discussion has been closed.