Is there a bug in the Remaining Credit calculation

Options
J. Holmes
J. Holmes Member ✭✭✭✭

Several of my credit card accounts have a credit balance. The Remaining Credit calculation appears to be inaccurate when Online Balance is selected.

Is this a bug?

Tagged:

Comments

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

I'm not understand what you think is in error. In the screenshot you posted, your online balance of $61 plus your remaining credit of $8,939 add up to a credit limit of $9,000. Is that incorrect?

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • J. Holmes
    J. Holmes Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Sorry for the confusion. The online balance of $60.74 is actually a credit balance with Citi. I overpaid my credit card account by $60.74. Thereby, the issue would be with the Online Balance field and how Quicken reads credit balances.

• jacobs
    Options

The screenshot shows an online balance of -$60.74. A negative balance in Quicken is money that you owe. Are you saying that when you look below the heading, the register running Balance column shows a positive number in black? If it's a negative number in red, then that is the normal state for a credit card account.

To test, I just entered a dummy payment in my credit card account to create a $1,000 overpayment. The register correctly shows a positive $1,000 Online Balance and running Balance:

On the other hand, if I make a dummy payment to bring my balances owed to $1,000, then it correctly shows –$1,000 in both places:

So going back to your screenshot showing a –$60.74 Online Balance, I suspect the running Balance in the register for today is also a red –$60.74, and you're mistaken that you've overpaid by that amount.

• J. Holmes
    J. Holmes Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Yes, here is the transactions. Citi actually owes me money.

• jacobs
    Options

Well, that does show a positive balance in the register — but not the running balance doesn't match the Online Balance. Do you have any pending transactions from the past day or two which Citi may be including in your online balance even through the transactions haven't posted and downloaded yet? (If you change from Online Balance to Today's Balance in the header, does Today's Balance match the +13.76 show in your register Balance?)

• J. Holmes
    J. Holmes Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Here is what Citi and Today's balance shows. Thanks for your help.

• jacobs
    Options

Okay, so I now agree with you that the value Quicken is displaying for OnlineBalance has the wrong sign. Unfortunately, I don't know how you could determine if Citi is transmitting it wrong or if Quicken is reversing the sign.

My recommended solution: charge something more than $61 on your Citi card, and Citi and Quicken should be back in agreement! 🤣

• J. Holmes
    J. Holmes Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Thanks @jacobs. I appreciate this assistance.

It will be a while before I run a transaction through that card. I have a desire to cherish the moment of seeing the credit. I traveled a little more than expected over the past 2 months and was disappointed when I had to pay up. LOL

This discussion has been closed.