How do I remove all transactions over 7 years old?

Options
SSheil
SSheil Member

I would like to only keep 7 years of data in the active file. What is the best method to remove prior years?

Best Answer

Answers

• Snowman
    Snowman Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Why? There is no logical reason to do this other than to "save" space or the mythical reason that this will make Quicken faster, it won't. My current Quicken file is 176Mb+ in size and it runs at the blink of an eye. It covers data from 2004 to date. Save yourself some time and trouble and leave it alone.

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

WHY - it doesn't make Quicken any faster - and it's better to have ALL your data in one file vs several split files -

I've never understood the thinking for any Year End or truncated copies of your Quicken QDF data file -

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• SSheil
    SSheil Member
    Options

Even my bank does not maintain anything over 10 years.

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

If the bank doesn't keep it then I sure would! You might need to look up what you paid for something and when or to who. Like especially for home improvements when you sell. I've needed to look up old transactions to see when I bought it.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• SSheil
    SSheil Member
    Options

Thanks for all the responses. Guess I will figure something out.

• Snowman
    Snowman Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@SSheil If you own a home that you have had for say 10 years then you sell it and you claim a small enough profit from the sale that the IRS may audit that claim and you would be hosed because you have tossed out any proof you may have had to show how you offset the "profit" with maintenance and upkeep on the house.

This discussion has been closed.