Quicken stopped reflecting payments on my credit cards. (edit)

Options
DKB2
DKB2 Member

after the most recent update, Quicken stopped reflecting payments on my credit cards. 2 different cards so I don’t think the issue lies with the CC companies. CC companies websites reflect the payments.

Any help?

Comments

• DKB2
    DKB2 Member
    Options

just FYI, charges are reflected

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Make sure the payments (from your checking account?) are transfers to the cc accounts and not just to a Category. The CC account should be listed in the Category field with square brackets like [Visa].

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• DKB2
    DKB2 Member
    Options

thank you for replying, but I am referencing the download from the credit card company. I pay the CC company with a check.

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Even paying with a check … it's recorded in Q as a transfer from checking to the card account.

And WHERE are the payments not showing up? In your checking acct or in the card acct?

What bank(s), and when you do TOOLS, Account List … what shows as the "Transaction Download" for them?

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Transaction download problems with matching and adding new transactions correctly

First please ensure that all optional settings in Quicken pertaining to recall, memorization, automatic categorization and renaming of payee names are enabled. You find those settings in Edit / Preferences / Data Entry & Quickfill and Downloaded Transactions. Additional settings for the detection and processing of transfer transactions can be found in Edit / Preferences / Transfer detection.

Are you automatically accepting downloaded transactions into your registers?

If you are relying on Quicken to "automagically" fill your account registers from downloaded transactions, you may run into problems. Despite all efforts by the Quicken programmers, the "Autopilot" (that's my name for the part of the Quicken program which processes downloaded transactions and converts them into new register transactions) is not infallible. For that process to work 100% of the time one would need a crystal ball because the information downloaded from the banks often is just too terse and cryptic.

You should, at least for a while, turn off the "automatically accept downloaded transactions into registers" setting to gain better control over what is downloaded and what to do with it. Click on and review each downloaded transaction, make changes if necessary (e.g., to get a payee name = "Starbucks" instead of "POS TRANS 070119 STARBU", "POS TRANS 070219 STARBU", "POS TRANS 070319 STARBU" or to assign a category) before you click to accept each transaction.

Any changes you make to downloaded Payee Names are remembered in Renaming Rules.

Any other changes you make (add/change Category or Memo text) are remembered in the Memorized Payee List.

Next time the same transaction for this Payee comes along, Quicken should remember and give you a better new register transaction.
    Paper checks you write should be recorded in Quicken as you write the check (and BEFORE you download transactions which might contain the cleared check). That gives you a register transaction with correct check number, payee name and category. No matter what information is downloaded from the bank, you already have a correct register transaction which the downloaded data cannot mess up.

In case you have issues with transfer transactions not being generated correctly:

For best results manually enter transfer transactions into your register BEFORE you download transactions from the bank which contain the transfer confirmations. For recurring transfers use scheduled reminders and enter them a day or two before the due date.

Be sure to use distinct Payee Names for each transfer / credit card payment to avoid confusing Quicken - memorized payee entries.

That takes the guesswork out of the Autopilot's process. Because a correctly entered transfer transaction already exists in your account registers, the Autopilot should just match the downloaded transfer transaction to the existing one in both accounts.

Where are the "Auto-accept downloaded transaction" settings?

There are two places where this is controlled in Quicken for Windows:
    - Globally, for all accounts, in Edit / Preferences / Downloaded Transactions
    - For each account individually, the global setting can be overridden from the Edit Account Details screen, Online Services Tab. Look for blue text "Automatic Entry is: ON / OFF". Click the text to change the setting.

• DKB2
    DKB2 Member
    Options

Thank you for the replies. I have checked filters and have none on. I am not auto-accepting any account. The One Step Updates worked correctly until the last Quicken update and reflected payments. This error is happening with both my AE & MC credit cards; not just one. The Online Balance shown in Quicken after One Step Update is correct & reflects the payments. It is the Ending Balance that does not reflect payments. The Ending Balance is the number shown in the Account Bar on the left; not the Online Balance.

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@DKB2 ,
    are you waiting for the checks to clear the bank and Quicken to automagically create the necessary payment and deposit transactions?
    Or are you recording a transfer transaction from checking to credit card as you write the check?

As I stated earlier, for best results manually enter transfer transactions into your register BEFORE you
    download transactions from the bank which contain the transfer confirmations.
    This will ensure that your register contains a correct record of the CC payment you made in the form of a linked transfer transaction. When you download, the two parts of this transfer most likely arrive on different days. Quicken may not be able to properly designate each part as a transfer and correctly create the desired transfer transaction for you. Therefore, using a manually entered transfer transaction gives best results. Upon download Quicken will just simply match the downloaded data to what's already in the register and not create any problems like duplicate transactions.

• DKB2
    DKB2 Member
    Options

Thank you for trying to help. I’m clearly struggling to describe the problem accurately. I’m not doing anything other than download transactions from AE & MC. I am not transferring from account to account. When I download, the charges are shown correctly. The downloaded transactions do not show the payment. The CC company, when I go to their website, shows the payment so I know it is there. The Quicken Online Balance also reflects a payment.

I've done this since 1998. It has just been in the past 2 cycles that payments quit appearing in the register.

• DKB2
    DKB2 Member
    Options

once again, thank you for helping

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

How is the checking showing up in the Checking Account? What category is on the checking account transaction? The actual check category should be to the credit card account. The category on the check should be the credit card account name in square brackets like [MC] not to an expense category. Even though it's a check it is recorded as a Transfer to the credit card.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @DKB2

It sounds like you may have inadvertently changed a setting for the "Account Bar on the left" (to use your wording). To fix that, you just need to change the setting by first clicking on the "Gear" icon located at the top of that "Account Bar". See Snip below. You should change the checkmark from whatever setting it is now to the other setting.

Let me know how that goes.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

This discussion has been closed.