moving transactions from a compromised account to a new account

Options
nealbush1
nealbush1 Member ✭✭

One of my accounts was nearly compromised, I was able to shut the account down before any damage. It has 27 years of transactions. I had to set up a new account at the same institution and the funds were immediately transferred into the new account. When ran an update in Quicken, the old account was zero'd out, and the new account simply had 1 transaction of the transferred funds as an opening balance. is there a way I can move the historical transactions into the new account? i have daily backups, so I can go back prior to the opening of the new account.

thank you for any ideas on how to get back to where I have all of my historical data in my new account

Answers

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

What type of account is it?

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• nealbush1
    nealbush1 Member ✭✭
    Options

checking account

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

"One of my accounts was nearly compromised."

I'm assuming that this is referring to something along the lines of someone getting online access to the account at the Financial Institution, (FI) not a "Quicken" problem of some sort?

"I had to set up a new account at the same institution and the funds were immediately transferred into the new account."

If my assumption above is correct then it would seem that changing your UserID & Password with the FI would have done the trick, but I'm guessing the FI insisted on this approach?

"When ran an update in Quicken, the old account was zero'd out, and the new account simply had 1 transaction of the transferred funds as an opening balance."

Given that you used the passive voice here I take it that you didn't make any entries manually but relied on downloads from the FI? If that's correct then what you saw here makes great good sense as the FI took all the funds out of the old Account and transferred those funds to the new Account.

"Is there a way I can move the historical transactions into the new account?"

Yes, there are more than a few approached you can take here, but first, "is that really necessary?" You can hide the old Account in Quicken but that doesn't mean it goes away and isn't available any more. All those old transactions continue to live in you Quicken file and you can refer to them at any time simply by opening the old Account, include them in any and all reports by having that old Account "feed" information to the reports, and so forth. So from that standpoint having all those old transactions in the old Account doesn't really amount to much, unless you really want to run your eyeballs over the old transactions every time you open the Account.

If you want all those those old transactions in the new Account then one approach and the easiest approach would be to NOT create a new Account in Quicken, simply continue to use the old Account with the new Account number. That is, you'd disconnect the old Account from downloading, wipe out the FI's name and account number, then re-establish downloading with the FI and with the new account number. The first download after this might include transactions that you wouldn't way to accept either as "duplicates" or as downloads associated with the transfer process. You always make a backup first before making this change.

There is a "move transactions" feature in Quicken that you might try instead, explained here:

https://help.quicken.com/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=3216506

Your use of the word "funds" instead of "securities" suggest to me maybe we're talking about a single investment, maybe? In the more usual situation where multiple securities are in a Quicken Investment Account, if those securities get moved, to another broker say, then the typical approach - one in which the transactions themselves are NOT moved and a new Account is created - is to initiate a "Shares Transferred Between Accounts" action. In this situation Quicken does one Remove action for each security in the old Account and then multiple Add actions in the new Account, one for each and every lot of each and every security.

• nealbush1
    nealbush1 Member ✭✭
    Options

my preference is to have all of the old register/transaction information and just have it connect with the new FI account. Unfortunately, when I followed your advice, and deactivated the connection to the FI for old account, then reestablished the connection to the FI with the new credentials, when Quicken presents the accounts, and I choose "Link to" (where I want it to link to the account with the historical transactions in Quicken the account name does not populate on the list of available accounts that I can to link to, so the only choice is to create a new account.

Call it old fashioned, and I know I can leverage the historical transactions in reports, but can simply hide the old account, my preference would be to have back to the way it was before. Is that possible in any other scenario?

Thank you for your response

• nealbush1
    nealbush1 Member ✭✭
    Options

this was just a simple checking account, not an investment account with any securities in it.

This discussion has been closed.