Best Practices & How to for Migrating from Quicken Home & Business to Mac Premier?

Options
twins
twins Member ✭✭

Hello!

Forgive me for the repeated question but I have been search through threads trying to find an answer and keep coming up short. If anyone could provide a link to an existing solution/thread, I would be grateful.

I am currently subscribed to Home & Business and it renews soon but since I am on a Mac, my trial using a PC and Home & Business, while successful, is such a burden. All other tasks are mac-based!

Questions:

• What is the best method for migrating? (Would appreciate any step-by-step since I am not the best PC user.)
    • Do I set up my mac subscription first?
    • Do I need to back up and then export to a specific format?
    • What about categories and classes? Do they transfer 1:1?
  • We use the P&L feature for my husband's freelance business. How does that transfer? I would hate to have to go through a few years of searching and re-naming categories, if possible.
  • Overall, any bugs to watch for or tips to avoid bugs and hopefully hours of frustration?

Thanks in advance.

Tagged:

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Are you using the invoicing function of H&B? if so, you need to stay there … NO QMac product has invoicing

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• twins
    twins Member ✭✭
    Options

We are not using the invoicing feature.

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2023
    Options

OK, but I'll suggest that you read all of the attributes of H&B to see if there are others you need before you switch. You can find them by clicking "Buy Quicken", above.

And, elaborate upon how you use "P & L". That might/not be in QMac

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• J_Mike
    J_Mike SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@twins

Your current subscription is valid for both Win And Mac versions of Quicken - you can download and install either or both versions. You are using the Win H&B version so I understand this entitles you to the Mac Premier version.

I would go ahead and download and install the Mac version, Convert a copy of yourQWin file.

Run both versions side-by-side while you evaluate and work up the learning curve of Mac.

QWin & QMac (Deluxe) Subscription
    Quicken user since 1991

• twins
    twins Member ✭✭
    Options

@J_Mike

Thank you. I didn't know the current subscription supported both versions. Interesting that customer support didn't notify me of this.

The conversion worked smoothly and categories transferred. There are some possible duplicates but the Mac version is so much easier to handle for me.

Mostly I just needed to make sure the Schedule C reports worked and they do.

This discussion has been closed.