Accounts added by Validation

wjmcnicoll
wjmcnicoll Member ✭✭✭
edited August 2023 in Reports (Windows)

The file validation has added several accounts to my file. The accounts names are in the form ACCT_nnnn. I'm wondering what would cause new accounts to be added. Did I have accounts that were deleted, leaving these new, empty accounts? What should I conclude about my file based on these accounts being created by validation?

I'm running Quicken in Windows, Version R50.15, Build 27.1.50.15, though there may have been an update since I ran the validation process.

Comments

• Tom Young
    Tom Young Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Is there any dollars in these Accounts or are they simply empty Accounts?

Apparently Quicken creates these sort of temporary Accounts from time to time during certain processes - I do remember getting one of those Accounts once or twice along the line - but if they're empty I don't think there's any harm to simply deleting them.

I'm not sure what to conclude about the state of your file when you see these Accounts. I'm still using the exact same file that I started back in the days of DOS and while I'm aware of some small amount of corruption of bases in certain lots of stock - caused I believe by multiple return of capital entries - the file overall is still functioning just fine.

• wjmcnicoll
    wjmcnicoll Member ✭✭✭

The accounts show a balance in the register but in the account list it shows zero. Curiously, the transaction shows today's date.

• Tom Young
    Tom Young Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

One use for these temporary Accounts - I think, but I'm not sure - is a temporary spot to hold transactions downloaded, maybe until acceptance?

If they are showing a balance in the register then they have to be showing the transactions that make up the balance. Do you recognize those transactions as downloads for other Accounts in the file?

This discussion has been closed.