Stock sale entry issues

Options
Bob.
Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭

Sold all my shares in an ETF yesterday including a fractional share. Got a download into the account and a partial change to cash and this holding in investment tab. But all is not right.

This is the opposie of what I would expect. I thought Quicken would show the 320 sold and still show the fractional, but it appears the opposite?

And…

In the register, the cash is off but right on the investment tab. And investment tab shows I still hold the .224 fractional share.

How do I fix this? Do I need to wait for another download to the register before I even try?

Appreciate the help.

Best Answer

• Mark1104
    Mark1104 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

give it two business days; often the FI will reflect the new share balance but it will take two days for 'settlement' to occur.

Answers

• Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hmmm. Parts have resolved on new OSU. Seems that shares now match, though cash balance does not yet. And seems no transaction yet for that .224 share. I think this might resolve itself.

• Mark1104
    Mark1104 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

give it two business days; often the FI will reflect the new share balance but it will take two days for 'settlement' to occur.

• Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Boy, were you correct. BUT, I think since July 4th holiday in there, it took 4 days to straighten itself out. Done deal now. Thanks.

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

"This is the opposie of what I would expect. I thought Quicken would show the 320 sold and still show the fractional, but it appears the
    opposite?"

You haven't clearly stated whether you manually entered the sale in Quicken when you placed the trade, or if you didn't do that and are relying on downloads from the broker to make the entry for you. If you made a manual entry then I'd expect the "Shares in Quicken" figure on the mismatch screen would be "0." If you don't make manual entries - and that seems to be the case - then you're at the mercy of the broker when it comes to when and how the sale gets entered in Quicken.

It looks like your sale of "all" the shares got broken into two trades on the broker's end. Did the sales downloaded also have two different dates, or was the same date used for both sales?

• Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

No manual entry. Always allow the downloads.

Did get broken into two transactions. And yes, two different dates.

Was unexpected to occur that way.

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

When I had stock splits with fractional shares in the past, the "Cash in Lieu (of fractional shares)" transaction would always lag 2 or 3 days behind the actual Split date. I came to regard this as standard operating procedure and didn't worry about it. Both the Split and the CIL arrived in the download the day after their respective transactions posted.

This discussion has been closed.