Why does Quicken freeze on updates every time I open it?

Options

Every time I open Quicken, it wants to download updates. There are four steps. The first three go through — Download update, Backing up files, and Updating files — but then it freezes on Optimizing and executing files.

Answers

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Options

Hello @toekneesee,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about your issue, though I apologize that you are experiencing this.

To start with, I suggest you try downloading and installing the latest version through the Manual Patch instead which you can do from this support article, and see whether or not you experience the same problem.

Let us know how it goes! 

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• toekneesee
    toekneesee Member
    Options

I downloaded the manual patch, and it went smoothly. No problem. The next time I opened Quicken, same issue, "Downloading update," and then hanging on executing. I also verified the data file as was suggested. Honestly, the only thing to do is close it down as it's doing the update and then restart it. It seems to work fine that way and doesn't seem to care about an update.

• toekneesee
    toekneesee Member
    Options

So the only thing to do is close the window when it hangs up on "Executing files," whatever that message is, and then you reopen Quicken, and it's fine. Say "No" to "Download Update" if and when that box pops up once you have opened Quicken, or else you'll get the same problem with it hanging. I won't be renewing my subscription if they don't get this fixed. It's kind of crazy that I pay a yearly fee and have this ongoing issue.

• pdobie
    pdobie Member
    Options

I'm having the same problem. Even now, after years and years of working fine, it won't upload bank files either. This is really frustrating.

This discussion has been closed.