Budget versus year to date-Is it now available mid month or other times?

Options
CharlesB
CharlesB Member ✭✭

Can see from other users that they have had the same problem. Want to be able to select a date/month and see year-to-date budget vs actual.

Is that available? If so, where

Best Answer

• CharlesB
    CharlesB Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

I spenf enough time on Excel already…so agree completely with Jacob’s comments

Answers

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

Sadly, no. You can only get budget-versus-actual as of the current day, which is generally not helpful. For instance, today is July 8, and the budget-versus-actual will show budget through July versus actual through July 7. What most people would want is to be able to get a budget-versus-actual through June 30 — and you can't. The only way to do this is to export the budget, open it in a spreadsheet, delete July through December columns, create three new columns with formulas to sum actual, budget and difference January through June, and build formulas to total those new columns (being careful not to double-count sub-categories) — not quick and easy.

The Idea thread for this feature has been marked as "Planned" since last July. That means the development team has agreed on the need for the feature and that they have a time slot for it in their development roadmap. Unfortunately, we have no way of knowing if they aim to have it done next month, next year, or later.

I believe that because there are a lot of different requests for enhancements to budgets, the developers haven't tackled any of them. Developers hate to do one small project and then have to re-do some or all of the work to make changes to related parts of the program later — so they often look to group a number of enhancements that affect an area of the program together to insure they only have to do the work once. But that means that the most pressing issues aren't dealt with quickly, and everything waits for the larger, more comprehensive project. So we continue to wait and wait for this most fundamental budget tool… Sigh.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • CharlesB
    CharlesB Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

I spenf enough time on Excel already…so agree completely with Jacob’s comments

• KUJayhawk84
    KUJayhawk84 Member ✭✭
    Options

I am having difficulty exporting the budget. I see the "Budget to CSV File …" option under File/Export, but it is greyed out?

Thanks!

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

I am having difficulty exporting the budget. I see the "Budget to CSV File …" option under File/Export, but it is greyed out?

@KUJayhawk84 Hmm, that seems odd. First some questions: what version of Quicken? Is your subscription Starter, Deluxe or Premier?

Next, on the Budget screen, try clicking Export in the upper right. There should be four options in the pop-up menu; do they work or are the all grayed out, too?

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • KUJayhawk84
    KUJayhawk84 Member ✭✭
    Options

Hey Jacobs,

Thanks for your response. It is Deluxe, version 7.1.1. New user.

OK - found it! I was on the "One-Month" view - needed to go to the "12-Months" view.

I am a finance guy by trade. While the product functionality seems rich for many features, it seems very weak for budgeting, the creation of any custom reports around budget to actual, etc. That is pretty much why I bought the software, expecting the reporting would be standard.

Thanks again for your help!

• CharlesB
    CharlesB Member ✭✭
    Options

I concur. Anyone who’s not watching budget ytd can’t really say they are in control of their finances. The system is really amateurish by leaving this feature out

This discussion has been closed.