Is there a way to merge two QIF files?

Options
JMB1_1941
JMB1_1941 Member

I have Quicken 1999 running on Windows XP Pro. In 2009 I upgraded Quicken Deluxe 2009 on the same computer and was not able transfer the 1999 data to the 2009 version so I continued using Quicken 1999.

In June 2022 I moved and started the upgrade of Quicken to my computer running Windows 7 Pro. I learned that I would have to upgrade in stages, the 1st stage would be Quicken 2004.

I update one checking account to Quicken 2004 running on Windows 7 Pro. However I continued using Quicken 1999 until May 2023 when my data became corrupted and Quicken 1999 would not open.

While Quicken 1999 was down I wrote checks with Quicken 2004 and Windows 7. That left a gap in my register between June of 2022 and May 2023. I was able to reinstall Quicken 1999 and retrieve my lost register data (only about 75 items - If necessary i can enter the formerly lost data into Quicken 2004 by hand).

I have exported the formerly lost data from Quicken 1999 to a QIF file. I have not been able to merge lost QIF data with the QIF data in Quicken 2004. When I attempt to input the lost data into Quicken 2004 the message indicates the QIF file already exists. Is there a way to merge the data?

Comments

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2023
    Options

@JMB1_1941 I edited your post to break it into paragraphs for readability.

When I attempt to input the lost data into Quicken 2004 the message indicates the QIF file already exists.

I am confused by this. You are trying to read a QIF, not write it, correct? I don't understand the error you're seeing, maybe post a screen shot of it.

To answer your main question, QIF files are plain text. If you are wizardly enough, you could text-edit two QIFs into one with very careful text copies & pastes. Make sure you understand QIF format before trying this.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

It sounds like you are trying to open the QIF file in Quicken as if it is a data file, you can't do that.

Instead, you should be using File → Import → QIF File

As for "merging" as you import them in to Quicken they will be "merged in", but into the Quicken data file (.QDF, QEL, …) not combining QIF files which are only used for exporting/importing data.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2023
    Options

QIF data is just a portable snapshot of your transactions, it is NOT the Quicken QDF database. You should be able to IMPORT as many different QIF files as you want. You do not Merge any QIF data. So not sure exactly what you are doing for the QIF Import or the resulting error ?

I have exported the formerly lost data from Quicken 1999 to a QIF file. I have not been able to merge lost QIF data with the QIF data in Quicken 2004. When I attempt to input the lost data into Quicken 2004 the message indicates the QIF file already exists. Is there a way to merge the data..

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• JMB1_1941
    JMB1_1941 Member
    Options

JMB1_1941 Member

First I want to thank every one who responded QIF issue.

Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

July 9 edited July 9

In 2022 I was using Quicken 1999 running on Windows XP Pro. I decided it was time move and upgrade Quicken to my newer computer running running Windows 7 Pro.

I loaded Quicken 2004 on to the computer running Windows 7 Pro, and set up a Quicken file which I called “Test 2022”, in that file I set up an account I called JMB’s Test Exports.

On the computer with Quicken 1999 running on Windows XP Pro I exported data from my checking account with several years of data up to June 24, 2022 to a QIF file.

I imported the Quicken 1999 QIF file into Quicken 2004 “JMB’s Test Exports” account. The import was successful and I wrote a couple of test checks to make sure everything worked.

I did not switch over to Quicken 2004 in 2022 I continued to use Quicken 1999 until May 5, 2023 when it failed execute.

I needed to write checks and I wrote those checks with Quicken 2004 on the computer running Windows 7 Pro. I wrote checks but there was a data gap in my register (June 24, 2022 thru May 5, 2023).

I was able to reinstall Quicken 1999 and retrieve the data (June 24, 2022 thru May 5, 2023) and export the data to a QIF file.

I want to import that QIF file into the account “JMB’s Test Exports”. When I attempt to import the message indicates the QIF file already exist and does not offer any options.

This discussion has been closed.