Buying my first Mac, Currently using Quicken 2011 for Windows - need to convert

Options

Hi, will it be possible to convert to Mac with out too much trouble? This version does everything I need it to do. If I have to do a subscription plan, will I be able to move my files from the PC? Been using quicken for like 20 years. I was even thinking of buying an older version off of eBay to continue with out the subscription. Thanks for your help

Comments

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

Yes, you can import a Quicken Windows data file into Quicken Mac. Whether it will be flawless is hard to say, depending on features you do or don't use in Quicken Windows and sometimes quirks with your transaction data. I think most people find the data imports fine, but it's not always flawless. And you should be aware that some things don't transfer to Quicken Mac. Attachments are not migrated. Reports need to be created anew in Quicken Mac. Some Quicken Windows features, like tax planner and retirement planner, simply don't exist in Quicken Mac at this time, so they won't transfer.

Ideally, if you buy your Mac and still have your Windows PC, you can open them up side by side to compare account balances and investment holdings to see if everything is in order. (There may be some minor rounding issues with investments, which are easily handled with a tiny adjustment transaction.)

I don't know if an older pre-subscription version of Quicken Mac will import your data file or not. The converters are cloud-based, and I don't know if the Quicken 2017 and earlier converters are still active. I understand your desire to save the subscription fee, but I'd note that there have been a lot of changes in Quicken Mac in the 5+ years since Quicken 2017. (Unlike Quicken Windows, which is mature software, Quicken Mac has been in the process of being rewritten from scratch over the past decade, so in my opinion you'd be giving up a bit of functionality by setting yourself up in the old version.)

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

just be aware that the QMac version is different than the QWin version -

so there is some learning and discovery of where and how things work in the QMac version -
    along with some features that may not exist in the QMac version

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2023
    Options

what Quicken Release and Version are you now using - still using QWin 2011 ?
    as mentioned by @jacobs - there might be issues with "converting" with your older Quicken -

… Help —> About Quicken

QWin - R54.16 - Win10