Scheduled Update doesn't work - Vault Password fails (edit)

Options
RedCab
RedCab Member ✭✭

Q Deluxe Windows. Up to date. Win 10

I have searched these forums and implement what I found, specifically:

Copied data file to a new one. Then validated it. Then super validated it.

Rebooted computer. Restarted Quicken

Set up "Scheduled updates" to prompt for vault password at Win startup. Received message "Scheduled updates are now active…" (Separately, tried the prompt for vault password every time and got the same fail)

At the appointed update time, got vault password request. Entered password. Quicken rejected password as wrong (though I typed it character by character). Multiple tries.

Also tried rebooting after setting up the scheduled updates, to have the same fail when it asked for my vault password during boot up.

Is this just another unsolved Quicken bug? Thx.

PS: Manually kicking off a transaction download / update works just fine.

Answers

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    Options

Hello @RedCab,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about this issue.  I'm sorry to hear you're running into this problem. Are any of your accounts connected to Quicken using Direct Connect? To check, you can go to Tools>Account List, click the Edit button next to the account, and click the Online Services tab.

When you manually run a One Step Update, does it prompt you for a Vault Password?

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• RedCab
    RedCab Member ✭✭
    Options

@Quicken Kristina

I have both direct connect and express web connect downloads set up.

Yes, I'm prompted for the vault password when I kick off the process manually. (And in that case it runs to completion)

While I'm typing and you're listening… I have 22 downloads (some with multiple accounts) and ~700 stock quotes…. it took 8 minutes when I ran it just now (and there were no new transactions downloaded!). Is that what is expected? I have 750 Mb/sec internet connection. What is the critical path determining factor for the length of time needed to complete the downloads? THx!

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Thank you for your reply,

When did you first notice this issue? Was there anything that happened around the same time, such as a power surge, power outage, update, unexpected program or computer shutdown, etc?  Do you recall which version of Quicken you were using when the issue started? Do you keep your Quicken file on your C drive or is it on a shared network drive?  Is your Quicken file synced with any cloud service, such as One Drive or Dropbox (if it is, you will usually see the service name listed in the file location)? 

The simplest way to check your file location, if you have Quicken up and the file open, is to click on File, then look near the bottom of the list, just above where it says Exit.  It will list the file locations for the 4 Quicken files you have most recently accessed, with the one you are currently in at the #1 spot.

When running One Step Update, Direct Connect tends to update faster than Express Web Connect and Express Web Connect +. Has your One Step Update (OSU) always taken 8 minutes to complete? If not, when did you first notice it was taking a while? Do you get any error messages when you run OSU?

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

• RedCab
    RedCab Member ✭✭
    Options

When did Scheduled OSU stop working? I'm trying to set this up now. So it's a new issue.

Has it always taken 8 mins to update? I never paid much attention. It seems to have crept up in length over time.

Am I using a cloud service? No. My quicken file is in my users\username\AppData\Local directory.

Do I get any error messages when running OSU? Not typically (when I kick it off manually). Occasionally a bank's service is down so it times out, but that is not too often.

Questions about power outages, surges, etc… Not sure the relevence of the question. Data file doesn't seem to have a problem doing manual OSU and I've run verify and superverify. Quicken Deluxe is fully updated and Win 10 PC reboot was also tried.

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

I haven't been able to replicate the issue you are encountering. Which version of Windows are you using? Are you using it as the main operating system on your PC or in a virtual machine? Have you tried changing your Vault password, just in case there's something about the password itself that's keeping it from working properly outside of Quicken? To change the Vault password, go to Tools>Password Vault>Add or Edit Passwords, then click the Change Vault Password button.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

• RedCab
    RedCab Member ✭✭
    Options

Well, this is unexplainable…. I changed the password to the vault and now the scheduled update is working as it should.

For giggles, I then changed it back to the original password and after several re-boots I never got it to work with that pw. BTW it was a very minor change between the 2 passwords.

You said "keeping it from working properly outside of Quicken" Can you explain where my vault password could be applied outside of Quicken.

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Scheduled updates run only when the Quicken program is closed. What I meant by outside of Quicken is the vault prompt comes up while the program is closed so that it can run the scheduled update at the scheduled time.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

This discussion has been closed.