Is it possible to record fractional stock purchase?

Options
Katie2002
Katie2002 Member
edited August 2023 in Investing (Mac)

Hello, I'm a new quicken user. I have a weird portfolio where I have lot of fractional stocks that are like 4 decimal places. My question is can one enter fractional stock purchases on Quicken? And is the calculations highly accurate?

Tagged:

Best Answer

• John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options

Yes, you can enter fractional share amounts/purchases.

Is Quicken accurate? Yes. But, rounding may cause slight differences in reported values depending on how your brokerage rounds.

Answers

• John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options

Yes, you can enter fractional share amounts/purchases.

Is Quicken accurate? Yes. But, rounding may cause slight differences in reported values depending on how your brokerage rounds.

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Please check in Edit / Preferences / Reports only that "Decimal places for prices" is set to at least "4" or better "6".
    Mutual Funds trade in fractions up to 3 decimal places. Dividend reinvestments for stocks are calculated with 5 decimal places. Digital currencies require 8 decimal places.
    Beware of odd stock splits, e.g., 3 for 1, that end in fractional shares with an endless number of decimal places, like .333333

When manually recording investment transactions, do be sure to enter the correct number of shares (as reported by the brokerage), the commission/fees and the total amount. Let Quicken calculate the price per shares to as many decimal places as it wants. To be able to reconcile your account, number of shares and amount MUST be correct, not rounded.

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

@UKR I believe your reply is for Quicken Windows; Quicken Mac does not have any user controls over the number of digits for security transactions. In Quicken Mac, transactions will accept up to 6 decimal digits in the Share field.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Oops, once again, for not seeing "Mac" as the discussion's category. Maybe I need new glasses …
    So, ignoring my first sentence, the remainder should be usable advice for everybody.

• Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited July 2023
    Options

Quicken Mac doesn't have a setting like that, at least not one I can find. Shares of stocks & mutual funds will display up to 9 decimal places automatically everywhere I've looked, including reports.

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

This discussion has been closed.