How to make investment performance only reflect currently owned lot?

Options
RSiggy
RSiggy Member
edited August 2023 in Investing (Windows)

I owned a stock several years ago and sold it at a loss. I purchased new shares of that same stock recently. Problem is, Quicken calculates my investment performance and returns based on the loss position closed several years ago PLUS the performance of the currently owned shares. Of course, this makes it very difficult to determine the performance of the current lot. Is there any way to force Quicken to only calculate investment returns based on the most recent ownership position?

Answers

• Q97
    Q97 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2023
    Options

You can filter the Investment performance (IRR) report by time period, security, account, etc.

• RSiggy
    RSiggy Member
    Options

Sure, that would allow me to run a report for just a single stock that eliminates prior closed positions. But, ideally I would like the Quicken Investment screen itself (Investing → Portfolio) to reflect performance of currently owned lots only. In my view, once a position is closed any losses or gains from that transaction have no place in future performance reports. I believe most users would want to see the performance of the positions they currently hold, not lifetime performance of every stock position they have ever owned from day 1 to present - makes zero sense.

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

You can click on the gear at the top right of the Investing > Portfolio views and un-check the Show closed lots option. Then you will only see securities that you owned on the As of date. But the Avg. Annual Return (%) columns will include the performance of lots you sold during the analysis period.

QWin Premier subscription
  • RSiggy
    RSiggy Member
    Options

checking or unchecking that box does not seem to affect the "Return" calculation at all, unfortunately.

This discussion has been closed.