Major problems Downloading Vanguard 401k Transactions (edit)

Options
rgornitsky
rgornitsky Member ✭✭

I have a Vanguard 401k which I download transactions with Direct Connect. It connects no problem and download dividend transactions but does not download buy or sell transactions. I have done a super-validate and everything is great. The reconcile works. I have unconnected, deleted the account, rebuilt it from scratch and connected it with no problem. The first connect works but the problem reoccurs after every other connect. I have used Quicken for 30 years and cannot fix this.

Best Answer

• rgornitsky
    rgornitsky Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

So after many hours with Quicken and Vanguard, I was able to convince Vanguard to look at the problem and they "fixed" it. This problem was made worse by Vanguard have a problem with their phones that keep disconnecting the customer. Unfortunately, their mapping of transactions was wrong and I am now spending many many hours fixing it. You can download your transactions in a CSV file format to use as a baseline. They mapped Fees and redistribution of funds to removing and adding shares or stock splits. Obviously shares and cash do not reconcile.

Answers

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Have you tried setting up a test file with the Vanguard Account in it to see if that file works properly?

If the Buys and Sells are in the OFX file and the test file works properly then the only other thing I can think to try (on your own) would be to Copy the file and then do the Validation on the copied file. The act of copying can sometimes clear up some data corruption on its own. You will need to reconnect all downloading Accounts in the file to their various Financial Institutions.

You say "The reconcile works." I take it that you're either manually entering Buys and Sells or reconciling it after that "first connect" that does have the Buys and Sells included?

• rgornitsky
    rgornitsky Member ✭✭
    Options

I have done all your suggestions. What is weird is that the dividend transactions download but not the buys and sells. When I click reconcile shares, it accurately tells me the differences between quicken and my account.

• Tom Young
    Options

So does the test file include the buys and sells, or not? If "not", have you looked into that file's OFX log to see if they're included? I'd expect they would be.

• GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

This may be a longshot, but as this is a 401k account, the administration and hence fees paid are by your employer. I recall a former employer who eliminated the interface to Quicken to save admin costs. Perhaps a chat with Vanguard may shed some light on your predicament?

• rgornitsky
    rgornitsky Member ✭✭
    Options

So I looked in the ofx file. I shows a successful connect with Vanguard retrieving information on the account including the balance of each fund however there are no buys and sells in the XML.

• Tom Young
    Options

Time to ask Vanguard what's going on.

• rgornitsky
    rgornitsky Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

So after many hours with Quicken and Vanguard, I was able to convince Vanguard to look at the problem and they "fixed" it. This problem was made worse by Vanguard have a problem with their phones that keep disconnecting the customer. Unfortunately, their mapping of transactions was wrong and I am now spending many many hours fixing it. You can download your transactions in a CSV file format to use as a baseline. They mapped Fees and redistribution of funds to removing and adding shares or stock splits. Obviously shares and cash do not reconcile.

This discussion has been closed.