Year to Date Returns--Portfolio Register

Gary R
Gary R Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭✭
edited August 2023 in Investing (Windows)

I noticed that the Year to Date Returns for all my stock holdings are not even close to the actual YTD returns shown on Morningstar and Yahoo.

My portfolio register has a column for Returns YTD %. Not even close.

Comments

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

There are several possible explanations depending on what column in the Portfolio view you are referring too. Please give the exact name of the column(s)

QWin Premier subscription
  • Gary R

Correct YTD returns should be:

Appl——-46.65, AMZN—-59.88, MSFT—42.88

• Jim_Harman
    edited July 2023

What is the title of the last column in your attachment?

Assuming it is Return (%) YTD, that data is downloaded when you update quotes and does not depend on your trading activity. It assumes any distributions have been reinvested. Sometimes the data from the quote provider is out of date.

If you look at the bottom of the Investing > Portfolio view, when did you last update your quotes?

• Gary R

Last column is : Return (%) YTD

• QWinUser
    QWinUser Member ✭✭✭✭

@Gary R - does your cost basis for the stocks on Quicken match the cost on your source you are comparing to?

• Jim_Harman

Last column is : Return (%) YTD

That data is downloaded from Quicken's quote provider and is often out of date. If you want Quicken to work on a problem, I recommend you contact Support via phone.  Be sure the support agent understands the problem and gives you a ticket number for future reference.

You should also use the Help > Report a Problem menu in Quicken to submit the issue online. In your submission, be as clear and thorough as possible. Reference the ticket number and provide a link to this discussion. Provide step by step instructions to reproduce the problem. You will not get a response to an electronic submission, but they say they review and prioritize the submissions. 

• Gary R

Jim—-Are you seeing the same issues?

I will submit a request and call.

Thanks

• Jim_Harman

My numbers do not match yours but this is a longstanding issue. For example see your post from Jan 2022

• Jim_Harman

Assuming your transactions are entered correctly in Quicken, you can get a good indication of your personal YTD returns by setting the Portfolio view As of date to 12/31/2023 and looking at the Avg. Annual Return (%) 1-year column.

In many circumstances you can also get a good indication of your personal YTD performance by looking at the ROI (%) YTD column. I think some transactions such as Added, Removed, and Return of Capital will throw this measure off.

We had a lengthy discussion about this last year.

• Jim_Harman

This is just a guess, but it appears that the Return (%) YTD numbers that downloaded this morning 7/14 are based on closing prices on 7/11.

• Gary R

Jim, we may have had a lengthy discussion last year, but at more ripe old age of 75, the memory is failing. Yesterday, I lost my glasses in the house, searched for hours until I had to pay $280 for another pair. They are gone!

• Gary R

"This is just a guess, but it appears that the Return (%) YTD numbers that downloaded this morning 7/14 are based on closing prices on 7/11."

How did you figure that out??? Just curious

• Jim_Harman

How did you figure that out??? Just curious

I set up a Portfolio view with the ROI(%) YTD and Return (%) YTD columns next to each other. I updated the quotes to make sure I have the most recent data. Then I moved the As of date back one day at a time until the percentages for securities I have held since before Jan 1 and have not bought or sold this year were close to the same. The Return (%) YTD percentages were 0.1 to 0.3% higher, probably because of assumed compounding in the calculations.

Note that the Return (%) YTD numbers do not change when you change the date, because only the most recent data is present.

• Gary R

Great!!!!

Very much appreciated

This discussion has been closed.