How Do I Prevent Double Postings?

Options
glegly@
glegly@ Member ✭✭

This is relatively new (seen it probably in the past 6-12 months?): when I download transactions from my Credit Card and Checking accounts, my payments to Credit Cards are double posted, both in my Credit Card account and in my Checking account. Prior to the last 6-12 months, Quicken would recognize a similar transaction, happening on the same day for the same amount, and catch it. It doesn't anymore. What do i do to stop it? I know I have to go into each account and delete the dupes.

Thanks!

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Have you recently changes download methods, Say going from Direct Connect to EWC+? What method are you using?

How are you recording the card payments, are they shown as transfers from checking to the card account?

Do the dates and amounts of the input transactions match the downloaded ones?

What banks are involved?

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• glegly@
    glegly@ Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks NotACPA! I'm using EWC+ across the board. To repeat in detail: 1) Checking account downloads line item as a transfer b/n Checking and Credit Card that correctly balances both registers - good. 2) At the same time (same amount, same date), the Credit Card downloads a line item as a debit within the Credit Card, not related to the Checking account or anything else, so not balanced (let alone duplicated) - bad. Every month, I have to go in and make sure I delete that second line item.

I know I'm being paranoid when I say this, but I'd rather not say online which banks are involved but know that they're all name brand national banks, nothing local/uncommon. I searched all over, I couldn't find reasons for what could drive this duplication, so if you/community knows how to do this, awesome!

• glegly@
    glegly@ Member ✭✭
    Options

Also, what I "changed" was to start a new file for 2023. But I didn't change any settings. I don't see anything that allows for overwriting, etc.

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

The programmers have indeed been trying to improve the way that transfer transactions are being recognized upon download … with mixed results.

I recommend you record your credit card payment transactions as scheduled transfer reminders. Do this when receiving the new credit card statement notification and you will have correctly categorized transfer transactions appearing in both checking and credit card registers, waiting for any downloads to arrive.
    When you download transactions after due date, any downloaded payment confirmations will be matched with the already existing register transactions. No more duplicates to clean up.

• leedowe
    leedowe Member
    Options

How do you manually make it a transfer transaction?

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

A transfer transaction is indicated by the contents of the Category field showing the name of an account register, enclosed in [square brackets]. For example, this transaction in my checking account pays my credit card bill:

As a result of recording this transaction, a linked matching transaction will also appear in the credit card account register, but with the name of the [checking account] in the Category field.

This discussion has been closed.