Quicken H&B using Parallels on MacBook with the M2 chip?

Options
K9hndlr
K9hndlr Member
edited August 2023 in Before you Buy

My intel based MacBook died. I use the latest version Quicken H&B for Windows with Parallels. Will Quicken H&B for Windows work with the M2 chip using Parallels?

Answers

• K9hndlr
    K9hndlr Member
    Options

ps…I have a new M2 MacBook on order and would like to make sure I can install Quicken Home and Business Windows on the new machine using Parallels 18. I have heard that some programs aren't supported even though Parallels runs fine with the new chip.

• jfclague
    jfclague Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

You probably should specify that you are using H&B Windows in title and move to the Windows group (you are currently in the Mac group).

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

I disagree. I think this is more of a Mac-specific question than Windows. Mac users are more likely to know if QWin will run on Parallels.

Personally, I am still on an Intel Mac, so I don't know for sure. But since Parallels now runs Windows on M2 machines, I see no reason why QWin wouldn't run just fine.

Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • jfclague
    jfclague Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I disagree. The selection of the group you post in is for the Quicken product and not what type of computer you are installing the program on.

He/she is trying to install Windows H&B on a mac using Parallels and he/she would getting better response from the Quicken Windows forum group.

• jfclague
    jfclague Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I don't know if you are the person who posted a question on the Parallels forum but here are a couple of posts that may help make the transition from Intel Mac to the M-Series Mac. I am also preparing for this transition (just waiting for the new Macbook Pro).

https://kb.parallels.com/125375

https://forum.parallels.com/threads/how-to-install-windows-11-retail-version-read-post-48-first.355463/page-3

https://forum.parallels.com/threads/moving-parallels-to-new-mac-with-m2-chip.360757/

Hope this helps.

• Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited July 2023
    Options

If a Mac user is running Quicken for Windows via Parallels, which area of the forum are they more likely to be looking at? The sections for Quicken for Mac (a program they're not using) or the sections for Quicken for Windows? If I had a question like this I'd probably post in both areas just to cover all the bases.

I'd also consider using Crossover rather than Parallels - unless you're already using Parallels for other reasons it'll save you the cost of a Windows license.

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

I'd also consider using Crossover rather than Parallels

You're right about the savings for a Windows license, but my understanding is that Crossover often has to do some work to get specific programs running, or specific features of programs running, where Parallels should present the user with a straightforward Windows environment. I haven't heard of any problems from Quicken Windows users on Parallels about issues with Quicken in that environment.

As for Crossover, the only recent post I could find on this forum was from a user who stated in late March: "Crossover 22.1 does run QW 2022 almost flawlessly." Someone else followed up to ask what was less-than-flawless, but the original user never replied.

Crossover has a 14-day free trial, and they encourage people to start that way to evaluate whether the software they want to run will work. Their website says: "One of the main reasons to download the free trial of CrossOver is to test the compatibility of your Windows applications. Not all Windows applications are compatible with CrossOver, so it is important to test them out before purchasing the software. By using the free trial, you can ensure that your applications work seamlessly with CrossOver, saving you time and money in the long run." So once you have an M2 Mac up and running, I'd try downloading the 14-day trial of Crossover, install and configure it, install Quicken Windows and a copy of your data file, and see if everything looks good.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.