Asset Class Cash portion

Options
Rob Ritenour
Rob Ritenour Member ✭✭
edited October 2023 in Investments

When I review my asset allocation the portion of Cash a mutual fund carries in it's asset class mixture appears as cash in my allocation. I understand why, however that cash is not liquid and available to me in the since normal cash is. It miss represents my actual cash portion of my portfolio.

I think an option to disable this functionality would be super helpful in correctly representing a true allocation of assets. Maybe similar to the existing option - "Never interpret downloaded Money Market funds as cash", but something like this - Never interpret asset class cash as liquid cash.

Hope that is understandable.

Rob

2 votes

Reviewed · Last Updated

Comments

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2023
    Options

If the cash holdings of a fund are not shown separately, how do you think they should be allocated to the fund's other asset classes?

Note that if you do not agree with the downloaded asset classes for a fund, you can change them by going to the fund's Security Detail view and clicking on Edit Details. If you change the allocation, be sure to un-check the "Download asset class information" box.

QWin Premier subscription
  • Rob Ritenour
    Rob Ritenour Member ✭✭
    Options

I understand how to get around it by editing each funds allocation, and I've done that on a couple. As soon as you do that it automatically disables the download asset class. However, if and when the fund moves its allocation around, granted this won't be often or substantial my metrics will not follow because I'm no longer sync'ing asset class information. Plus, I don't want to edit ever fund as every fund carries some precent in cash for settling withdraws. Who's got time or desire to do that. The larger the fund amount the larger impact this has on you allocation reporting.

As for how the Cash portion could be allocated, it could still be allocated as Cash, I just don't want to see it in my asset allocation reports as my cash allocation. It's not readily available cash I can pay a bill with. Again, for reporting maybe label it as no asset class or create a new class - fund mgmt cash. Some funds actually report the cash portion as Other, but not all.

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I voted for this idea. I think a new asset class "Fund Cash" or whatever would be better than mixing fund cash in with my liquid cash.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I do not interpret various asset allocation presentations as saying anything about liquid cash. To me the information relates to return and risk.

If you want a measure of liquid cash, use a different tool. I have a portfolio view set up to present Cash (no security) and MM funds as a measure of liquid cash in investment accounts. In this context, I have a customized security type for Money Market funds. Of course that investment cash must also be tied in with cash in banking accounts to see total liquid cash assets..

I have no need for this change and would generally find it adding clutter as yet another option to understand and select.

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

You could easily set up an asset class for "Fund cash" or whatever manually, but it is unlikely that Quicken's data provider would be able to download that data.

QWin Premier subscription