Password Vault missing and blank

Options

After having to accept an update this morning, my password vault is blank and the only thing one step update had an option for was to download quotes.

Best Answers

• QWinUser
    QWinUser Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

@mark.mennella - the only 2 ways I know to restore the passwords to the password vault:

1. Deactivate and reactivate all of your online accounts.
    2. Restore a backup from before the update.

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

When Quicken updates the version, it automatically creates a backup file prior to the update with the version that was updated added to the backup file name as is shown in the following picture (shaded in yellow). You might want to consider restoring that backup file to see if the PW Vault is present. If it is, then you can run OSU, again.

BTW, one does not have to accept Quicken version updates. Quicken should provide a preference option for updates but does not. However, you can go to your Windows User Account Control Settings and set it to Always notify. Then when Quicken (or any other program) wants to update the version Windows will prompt you to decide whether or not to allow the update to proceed. This allows you to decide if and when to update the version of Quicken.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11)

Answers

• QWinUser
    QWinUser Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

@mark.mennella - the only 2 ways I know to restore the passwords to the password vault:

1. Deactivate and reactivate all of your online accounts.
    2. Restore a backup from before the update.

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

When Quicken updates the version, it automatically creates a backup file prior to the update with the version that was updated added to the backup file name as is shown in the following picture (shaded in yellow). You might want to consider restoring that backup file to see if the PW Vault is present. If it is, then you can run OSU, again.

BTW, one does not have to accept Quicken version updates. Quicken should provide a preference option for updates but does not. However, you can go to your Windows User Account Control Settings and set it to Always notify. Then when Quicken (or any other program) wants to update the version Windows will prompt you to decide whether or not to allow the update to proceed. This allows you to decide if and when to update the version of Quicken.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11)

• mark.mennella
    mark.mennella Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks maniac

• wphepting
    wphepting Member ✭✭
    Options

Thank you very much for posting this. I too experienced the empty password vault after accepting the update on July 24. Your instructions saved me much frustration, though am still annoyed with Quicken.

This discussion has been closed.