Move transaction is absent

Options
Jerry2
Jerry2 Member ✭✭

I downloaded transactions into the wrong investment account. I therefore searched what to do and the suggestion was to use "move transactions". But there is no move transactions option in my Windows Quicken Deluxe, latest update.

Do I need to accept the downloaded transactions first? I have not yet done so to avoid burning any bridges.

Best Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

In order to move transactions from one account to another, the transactions must first be entered into that first account. If there are not already in the register Quicken thinks they do not exist so there is nothing that t be moved.

But I think if I were faced with your situation I would do the following:

1. Delete the transactions in question.
    2. Since you downloaded into the wrong account, that account is now set up to be recognized as the account to download into in the future. You need to break that link so that does not happen, again, by deactivating the account (Account Register > upper right Gear icon > Edit Account Details > Online Services tab > Deactivate).
    3. Set up the account for downloading, again. Or if you are manually downloading, import the QFX file, again. This time, make sure you are linking the imported data to the correct account. This will then ensure that your downloads in the future go into the correct account, as well.

Alternatively, if you have a recent backup file from just before when you downloaded the transactions into the wrong account, you could restore that backup file and do the download, again, making sure to link it to the correct account.

Did this resolve the issue for you?

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11)

• QWinUser
    QWinUser Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

@Jerry2 - the screen print you provided is for a banking account not an investment account. Nevertheless, if you want to move transactions for an investment account either click on the "gear" icon in the upper right of the investment register, or right click on one of the transactions in the register you wish to move. After you do this, you will get a list of investment transactions to choose which transaction(s) to move.

For a non-investment or banking account, just right click on a transaction or a group of selected transactions and the "Move" command is available.

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

In order to move transactions from one account to another, the transactions must first be entered into that first account. If there are not already in the register Quicken thinks they do not exist so there is nothing that t be moved.

But I think if I were faced with your situation I would do the following:

1. Delete the transactions in question.
    2. Since you downloaded into the wrong account, that account is now set up to be recognized as the account to download into in the future. You need to break that link so that does not happen, again, by deactivating the account (Account Register > upper right Gear icon > Edit Account Details > Online Services tab > Deactivate).
    3. Set up the account for downloading, again. Or if you are manually downloading, import the QFX file, again. This time, make sure you are linking the imported data to the correct account. This will then ensure that your downloads in the future go into the correct account, as well.

Alternatively, if you have a recent backup file from just before when you downloaded the transactions into the wrong account, you could restore that backup file and do the download, again, making sure to link it to the correct account.

Did this resolve the issue for you?

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11)

• QWinUser
    QWinUser Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

@Jerry2 - the screen print you provided is for a banking account not an investment account. Nevertheless, if you want to move transactions for an investment account either click on the "gear" icon in the upper right of the investment register, or right click on one of the transactions in the register you wish to move. After you do this, you will get a list of investment transactions to choose which transaction(s) to move.

For a non-investment or banking account, just right click on a transaction or a group of selected transactions and the "Move" command is available.

• Jerry2
    Jerry2 Member ✭✭
    Options

Thank you.

This discussion has been closed.