Near Match Errors

Options
tkstaple
tkstaple Member ✭✭✭
edited October 2023 in Investing (Windows)

I frequently get near match errors for transactions downloading into Fidelity Brokerage accounts. Today's transactions try to near match with transactions that happened on previous dates that have already been cleared in the transaction log.

Many times the only data that matches is the name of the stock or fund. The $ amounts and shares don't need to match when this is happening. Fidelity is the primary account where this is happening. This has been going on for several years. I've brought this up previously but there does not seem to be an answer.

Also with Fidelity, transactions will stop downloading usually around the end of the month. I know transactions should be there, but they don't download and there is no indication that there is any problem connecting to the site to download.

Does anyone else experience this issue with Fidelity or other accounts? These have to be unmatched one at a time. If I happen to miss one it throws off the balance for the asset against the brokerage account because the new transaction gets merged with one that has already cleared.

Comments

• Mark1104
    Mark1104 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2023
    Options

are you manually entering the transactions prior to the download from Fidelity and that is what is creating the 'near match'?

• tkstaple
    tkstaple Member ✭✭✭
    Options

No. I let the download do all the updating. The near match tries to associate the transaction based on the symbol or asset. The shares, the date, or total amount of the transaction are disregarded. All transactions that are near matched are already showing cleared as well. They should all show as "new".

• tkstaple
    tkstaple Member ✭✭✭
    Options

This is what the Quicken FAQ reads how downloads are processed for new or matched transactions:

"Quicken uses very basic criteria to determine whether a downloaded transaction is New or should be Matched to an existing transaction in your register:

1. Downloaded ID, to see if the transaction has been downloaded previously or not. This Downloaded ID is compared to the <FITID> or <Transaction_ID> in the downloaded data.
    2. Date + Amount + Payee, to see the newly downloaded transaction matches one that was manually entered into the account register prior to the download."

#2 is not happening 100% of the time. In my case, the date is not always being considered since it's matching past transaction dates that are cleared in the register. How to address this with Quicken support?

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

How to address this with Quicken support?

If you haven't done so already, I'd say it's time to call Quicken Support on the phone during posted hours of operation and request help. Let them do a screen share session with you to review the situation on your computer, to determine the nature of the problem and to figure out how to fix it.

Quicken Support:

• To contact Quicken Support, please use this link only: https://www.quicken.com/support#contact-support and select Chat or Phone support.
    • Support is only available during posted hours of operation
    • The phone number can be found at the support website.
    • To start Chat or see the support phone number, your browser must allow popup windows from https://www.quicken.com
    • If you are eligible for Premium Support (purchased separately or included as part of your subscription to Quicken Premier or HB&R) call the number that can be found at the top of your My Account page at https://www.quicken.com/my-account (US) or https://www.quicken.com/canada/my-account (Canada) when you log in with your Quicken ID. Place the call using the phone whose number is recorded in your account profile.
    • Other links or phone numbers found elsewhere on the Internet, even in some posts or emails received from other Community members, may not be from Quicken or may not be up-to-date. Use those at your own risk.
    • Unlike other so-called "Quicken support providers", the real Quicken Support is free for all currently supported versions.

• tkstaple
    tkstaple Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Thank you. I will give that a try. Still having issues with it on Fidelity and now also on Vanguard accounts as well.

This discussion has been closed.