New User Question (Investing in Q Mac)

Options
GMamlet
GMamlet Unconfirmed, Member
edited August 2023 in Investing (Mac)

Hey, folks, I haven't been back on Quicken since probably 1999 or so. Trying it again specifically for stock portfolio management. I just downloaded it today, and I'm trying to organize my portfolio according to how I think of it:

+ portion focused on growth, with a fair bit of risk;

+ portion focused on dividends, with negligible risk;

+ portion focused on modest growth, with moderate risk.

I like to look at each part of the portfolio separately, since there are separate goals for each. How do I do that with Quicken?

Best Answer

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options

@GMamlet You can't customize the Portfolio by your own criteria. You can set the Portfolio view to show value and performance by security if you wish, but then you won't see it by account. If you want to slice it both ways, you might consider setting the Portfolio view to By Account, then export as a CSV file. The resulting file will show each account, and the securities within each account. You can then manipulate/sort/group the data however you want.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993

Answers

• Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited July 2023
    Options

You can do that on the Portfolio Dashboard. Here I have just two of my brokerage accounts selected and I'm looking at the performance view:

You can do this by opening the Account pulldown and clicking on each of the accounts to include:

In this particular case I started by selecting the Brokerage account group so only accounts in that group are in the list, but if I selected the Investment account group I could also bring in retirement accounts.

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

• GMamlet
    GMamlet Unconfirmed, Member
    Options

Thanks, Jon! Unfortunately, my brokerage accounts each have some of the holdings for each of my different portfolios.

Is it possible to categorize or tag individual holdings, and then filter for each category or tab in the display?

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options

@GMamlet You can't customize the Portfolio by your own criteria. You can set the Portfolio view to show value and performance by security if you wish, but then you won't see it by account. If you want to slice it both ways, you might consider setting the Portfolio view to By Account, then export as a CSV file. The resulting file will show each account, and the securities within each account. You can then manipulate/sort/group the data however you want.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.