QWin vs QMac: Bank connect

Options
yScrappy
yScrappy Member ✭✭
edited August 2023 in All Things Canadian (Mac)

This has been discussed before, with the most recent I found being:

Jasmine posted a response, but it didn't answer one of the critical questions that was asked in that thread, and with this problem still existing when I last tested, I'm asking it again.

I have two computer … a Mac ( my primary ) and a Windows, and I have Quicken loaded on each of them … both are fully up to date.

On the Mac, I can use Quicken Connect to download transactions for my Tangerine account(s), but I can't do the same with CIBC.

On the Windows, I can use Quicken Connect to download transactions for my CIBC account(s), but I can't do the same for Tangerine.

I understand from the above posting that the bank themselves has to put the request in to be supported:

In order for a financial institution to support downloads to Quicken,
the request to be added would need to be made and submitted by the
financial institution to our service providers. If you want Quicken to
be supported, you will need to contact your financial institution
directly and tell them you'd like to download your accounts into
Quicken.

This is all well and good, but obviously both CIBC and Tangerine have put in those requests, as they do work on one platform each, but is there a reason why they aren't working on both? Do they actually need to put a request in per platform? So CIBC only put in the request to be supported by QWin, but they never asked for QMac, so its not enabled there?

Comments

• Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

I know it used to be the case that Mac & Windows support were separate things. I was a Bank of America customer in the early 2000s when they decided to stop supporting QMac (or at least scaled it back); I ended up moving my accounts to a local credit union that did support QMac.

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

• yScrappy
    yScrappy Member ✭✭
    Options

Not disputing this ( since its what I'm experiencing ), but when you look at the Advanced screen:

it seems to indicate that you go through a Quicken service to get to your bank, you don't go to the bank directly … so it seems like Quicken themselves are choosing not to support both platforms, its not the bank.

If it was a case of QMac just having bad support, that is one thing … but in my case, its a case of two different banks being supported by two different platforms. If it was QWin supports both CIBC and Tangerine, but QMac only supports Tangerine, that would be one thing, but this just feels like a case of someone added a Bank to one platform and forgot to add it to the other.

I'm just going by what they show in Quicken itself … if the transactions are pulled through an aggregation service @Quicken, then you'd figure that all of the platforms would have access to the same data .. shrug

• Jon
    Options

It might be different with Quicken Connect. I was using Direct Connect with BoA 2 decades ago (since I was using Bill Pay), and I still don't use Quicken Connect with any of my accounts.

• yScrappy
    yScrappy Member ✭✭
    Options

Just re-confirmed … I powered up my Windows box, made sure that Quicken is up to date and went to try:

add Tangerine … can only download QFX files, can't Connect … Mac version, can connect, can't download QFX files

add CIBC … I can connect on the Windows side, on the Mac side, can't connect, can only download QFX files

And even though both sides do the whole 'web sync' aspect of things, from what I can tell, you can't connect the Mac/Win versions via web sync … so I can't have my Mac side updating its accounts automatically, while the Windows side does those it can do, and Web Sync between the two of them …

Really seems a weird inconsistency …

• Jon
    Options

you can't connect the Mac/Win versions via web sync

That's correct, in fact you can't sync Quicken between any desktop computers; you can only sync one desktop computer to mobile devices.

This discussion has been closed.