Changing Passwords in Quicken

Options
retird
retird Member ✭✭✭✭

Is this still the way to change Express Web and Express Web+ accounts' passwords in the Quicken Vault. This is done after changing the password at the financial institutions.

PROCEDURE:

For Express Web Connect accounts the passwords aren't stored in the Password Vault.  They are stored on the Quicken/Intuit servers.

For these accounts we need to go into the One Step Update Settings and click on the key icon to change the password:

Windows 11 (2 separate computers)..... Quicken Premier.. HAVE USED QUICKEN CONTINUOUSLY SINCE 1985.

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I've never done it that way for EWC. I always go to the Online Services tab of Account Details for the account, click on Deactivate and then Set Up Now.

For EWC+ the only way to reflect a PW change is to do the Deactivate/Reactivate process where you will be taken through the reauthorization process. But I'm not sure if reauthorization is needed with EWC+ because EWC+ uses tokens, not PWs. So, does changing the PW in the online account have any bearing on the EWC+ account in Quicken at all? Maybe someone else can provide more insight on this?

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11)

• retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2023
    Options

Well I contacted Quicken Support (Password Support) and from our discussion the original post I made here is the way she said to change passwords for EWC and EWC+. She said it was not neccessary to Deactivate and Reactivate each account at each financial institution. So change password at your FI and change it in the vault.The more I read about cyber crime and the need to perodically changing your passwords the more I am considering it.

Anybody out there that has successfully changed passwords in the vault using the procedure I posted above? THX

Windows 11 (2 separate computers)..... Quicken Premier.. HAVE USED QUICKEN CONTINUOUSLY SINCE 1985.

• retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I also see this post of January 6:

• GeoDosch
    GeoDosch Windows Beta Beta
    Options

What is not clearly explained to the users is that passwords are stored either in the local password vault, or on the Quicken servers, depending upon the connection type. What makes things very confusing is that if you go to your Password Vault, in the "Password Stored" column EWC accounts say "Not required", and if you click on the key icon, the pop-up says "You no longer need to enter your Financial Institution credentials for Express Web Connection accounts". That is an extremely misleading statement, because you absolutely DO need your credentials, they just aren't stored in the password vault.

For EWC accounts, the process that @retird described is far preferable to either deactivating/reactivating online services, or trying a OSU, having it fail due to the changed password, then fixing it in the 'Troubleshooting' steps. It's unfortunate that knowing to do these steps is like finding an Easter Egg, and not clearly explained anywhere, such as the Vault pop-up that misleadingly tells you that you don't need credentials.

With EWC+ accounts, it is not necessary to update passwords in Quicken if you change them on your account. Unfortunately, from the OSU Settings screen you cannot tell which accounts are which unless you click on the key icon for each one.

This discussion has been closed.