Significant sync improvement in release R51.11 (Build 27.1.51.11)

Options
dpaulsims
dpaulsims Member ✭✭✭
edited September 2023 in All Things Canadian (Windows)

The sync is much faster after installing the latest release. The product is usable again. Thank you, development team!

Comments

• Arctic Hare
    Arctic Hare SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Give it time before you reach that conclusion. I hope what you say is true, but my experience for the last few years is that the One Step Update gets fast for a brief period of time when new logs are created and gets slower the longer the same log files are in use. You can test this theory by deleting the log files and noting how much faster One Step Update runs. One Step Update started running much slower, on average a couple years ago. I've complained about it a lot and Quicken has appeared to ignore the issue. They claimed to have fixed it for US customers quite some time ago, but it didn't get better for Canadians. I too noted that my first few OSU runs after this update ran quickly. Fingers crossed it stays that way… but I won't believe it until I've tested it for some time.

• dpaulsims
    dpaulsims Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Thanks for that @Arctic Hare . Quicken pruned the SyncLog from 5.13 MB to 2.14 MB around the time of the observed improvement. I'll keep an eye on that and update this thread if I see a significant degradation in the next few days. As an experiment, I deleted SyncLog and started Quicken again. One Step Update completed in less than 15 seconds. The SyncLog size is now 185 KB.

Paul

• Arctic Hare
    Options

I will be thrilled if the issue with super long One Step Update times is fixed, but I'm not holding my breath. In fact, I will already take the position that it hasn't been improved at all. Yes, my first OSU after installing the update ran very fast - just a handful of seconds… but, only a week or so later and my updates are already taking more than 3 minutes. I believe all that happened was that the update required recreation of the log files. New log files = fast OSU.

• Arctic Hare
    Options

Interesting. Earlier this evening running a OSU took about 3 minutes. I ran another and it took less than 10 seconds. Odd behaviour to say the least.

• dpaulsims
    dpaulsims Member ✭✭✭
    Options

For me, the One Step Update is still taking less than 15 seconds.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I hope people are aware of the fact that Quicken "caches" the result of the One Step Update.

The first download in a "long period of time" does a full download and can take quite some time depending on exactly how many accounts are setup and what connection method is being used. Direct Connect usually only takes a few seconds, but is done one financial institution/login at a time. Express Web Connect and Express Web Connect + is done in parallel but takes much longer.

But if you do back-to-back updates Quicken's One Step Update doesn't hit Intuit or the financial institution for Express Web Connect/Express Web Connect + (there might be some fast check to see if something changes, but it certainly not the full download process).

One has to realize that for Express Web Connect/Express Web Connect + Quicken is actually syncing with the Quicken Cloud dataset, not Intuit/financial institution. It is the Quicken Cloud server that actually talks to Intuit, which in turn talks to the financial institution.

I'm on R51.12. And here are some recent timings from the Quicken Cloud Sync file (the Express Web Connect/Express Web Connect + part of the download).

First sync of the day:

Start: 14:17:50 on 20230812

End: 14:20:45 on 20230812

Time: 2 minutes 55 seconds.

Next sync:

Start: 14:27:37 on 20230812

End: 14:27:45 on 20230812

Time: 8 seconds.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Arctic Hare
    Options

I don't believe there is EWC+ in Canada, but my OSU with EWC experience models that of what @Chris_QPW details above. That is, my first OSU of the day takes minutes. A sync done a short while later takes only seconds.

• dpaulsims
    dpaulsims Member ✭✭✭
    Options

@Chris_QPW, thanks for sharing how the OSU process works. That's good information to know. Before installing R51.11, all my OSUs in a day took multiple minutes. If Quicken cached data during the first update, I didn't notice any improvement in subsequent updates. Now all my OSUs take an acceptable amount of time, i.e., up to one minute. Most are 15 seconds or less.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Another thing to note is if they encountered any kind of errors, it could take much longer. Therefore, anything that clears up such problems can speed things up. This could be an update, but it can also just be a change on Intuit's or the financial institution's part. Also, I should mention that I was sort of comparing Apples to Oranges, because I'm using the US version, and as @Arctic Hare pointed out for the Canadian version it is only Express Web Connect, which of all my accounts only two are Express Web Connect.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
This discussion has been closed.