Replaced hard drive - now Home & Business 2012 will not open

Options

I have had a new SSD Hard Drive installed on my Windows Computer, now my Quicken Home & Business 2012 will not open. The program thinks it is a different computer. I desperately need to use my program. I don't want to update as we are a very small business and will soon cease trading.

Answers

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

"now my Quicken Home & Business 2012 will not open"

Not very descriptive. How about some more details as to what is happening? Please do not make someone play 20 questions.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Sheza12
    Sheza12 Member
    Options

Since having the new SSD drive installed I cannot open Home & Business 2012 data file. I am getting a message that this is not the computer my program was originally installed on. It is the same computer only that the hard drive has been replaced. All my files have been transferred to the new hard drive. I do not know what I should do apart from contacting Quicken whom I suspect will not support me as the program is old. Any suggestions on how I should approach this issue would be appreciated. I do not know what else I can tell you.

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

No, I don't think that is the message you are getting. Quicken doesn't care what computer it's on. You can install it on all the computers you own and open the same data file. How did you move the program? Did you reinstall it or just move the program files? You need to actually install it from the CD again like new.

What is the exact error message? It's probably saying your data file is from a later version. If you do install an older version you will need to update it. One of the SuperUsers has posted the update patches for older versions (2000 and newer) of Quicken

http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/quicken-patches-us.html

Actually, you should at least try to convert to the 2013 version since you don’t use any online services or download transactions now. Starting in 2014 they instituted an ID password to get into your own data. I’m staying on 2013. Then it should be more stable and run on newer computer systems.

You can download 2013 Deluxe directly from Quicken for free using this how to convert article. It’s under Converting from Quicken 2004-2009. Click on the blue words Quicken 2013 for Windows in step 3. Oh, but you want the Home & Business version. Are you using all the features of H&B?

https://www.quicken.com/support/how-and-when-use-intermediate-version-convert-older-versions-quicken

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Or can you start the program but just can't open your file? You should be able to go up to File - Open and select the location of the .qdf file. Or try finding the data file in explorer and double clicking on it?

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2023
    Options

Is this Quicken H&B 2012 the US version, the Canadian version or some other international version?
    Are you really sure it's 2012 and not another year's version, newer or older?
    You might be stuck with Canadian or international licensing issues. There are no workarounds available that I'm aware of.
    For US 2012 I can provide you with a registration bypass to try.

If all else fails, you may have no alternative but to purchase and install the current Quicken Subscription version of either Q Canada or Q US H&B.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Sheza - had a new SSD Hard Drive installed on my Windows Computer,
    now my Quicken Home & Business 2012 will not open.

SO - what exactly did they do when replacing the SSD -
    Did they "image copy" the entire contents of the old drive onto the new drive ?
    If not…. then what was actually done ?
    Do all your other programs works just fine on the new SSD ?

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

This discussion has been closed.