Does One Step Update (OSU) have any problems with 5G mobile broadband WWAN cards?

Options
GordieZ
GordieZ Member ✭✭

I'm getting a laptop with a mobile broadband card installed. It will have Windows 11 and whatever the latest Quicken release will be when I set up this laptop. Quicken's min. requirements for an internet connection are "Internet Connection: High-speed internet connection recommended for product download and use of online services."

Theoretically faster is better, but it's best to verify. So before ordering the laptop I'm asking if anyone has successfully (or unsuccessfully) used 5G (or 4G) mobile broadband via a WWAN card with OSU???

Thank you,

Answers

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I recently used my laptop that was connected to a home based 5G network modem/router and it worked just fine. Not exactly your proposed setup, but the eventual internet connection was via 5G.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• GordieZ
    GordieZ Member ✭✭
    Options

Splasher,

So, wireless (fast, 5G) broadband came to the modem/router from the outside world. What about the last leg… was the connection between the modem/router and the laptop also 5G (picked up by a wireless card in the laptop) or was that last leg Wi-Fi (picked up by a conventional Wi-Fi card in the laptop)?

Thanks,

• markus1957
    markus1957 SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    Options

Also, not exactly your use case but I have tethered my 5G mobile phone to my laptop on several occasions for the purpose updating Quicken. It has worked fine.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2023
    Options

I've used Quicken with low speed and higher speed connections…. no problem - remember modems & 56k ?

I personally am running the TMobile 5G coffee can home wireless router and WiFi access point -
    uses either LTE or 5G - whatever is good at the moment…. like a hotspot - and then is a WiFi access point as normal.

The only issue with Quicken might be how it "sees" the internal WAN card,
    and if it appears as a normal Windows Ethernet type device.

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

The connection between the laptop and home network was regular 2.4 wifi.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• GordieZ
    GordieZ Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks all! BUT, I am leaving this question up for now. Ps56k2 said there could be an issue with how Quicken "sees" the internal mobile network card. For this reason (and any others I don't know about) I'm hoping someone will chime in who has tried a 4G or 5G mobile network card with Quicken.

This discussion has been closed.