CC-503 (Password Error) on all Express Web Connect (EWC) Accounts

Options
QWinUser
QWinUser Member ✭✭✭✭

This morning, I had some issues with several connections after an OSU. Long story short, this is where I am now -

The Direct Connect (DC) accounts (12) were unaffected.

The Express Web + (EWC+) accounts (2) where fixed (CC-800) and now working fine.

The Express Web Connect (EWC) accounts (5) had (CC-800) errors that were fixed, but now all of them are having (CC-503) errors, if I try to deactivate and reactivate online services.

This error (CC-503) seems to be for incorrect username or password, which doesn't make any sense because I have confirmed the credentials by successfully logging into each FI website. It also doesn't make any sense because this error is happening on all of my EWC accounts. I need to deactivate and reactivate because the accounts don't seem to be updating (no error, but no last update day and time).

I found another post from a user that had this error earlier this year, but there is no solution given.

I am on Windows 11 Pro and Quicken Premier R51.10.

Comments

• QWinUser
    QWinUser Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

How can I escalate this issue? I am getting the CC-800 errors back on 2 accounts but I cannot deactivate and reactivate because I get the CC-503 error on every EWC account that I try to reactivate.

• QWinUser
    QWinUser Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Now I have the CC-800 error on all EWC accounts again. I can't correct them because I get a CC-503 error when I try.

This is getting ridiculous.

I don't even know how this happened. My data file has been working great for quite a while ,until this morning.

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    edited August 2023
    Options

Hello @QWinUser,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about this issue.  I'm sorry to hear you're running into this problem. Since this is affecting multiple financial institutions, especially by connection type, I suspect this may be a file specific issue. If you haven't done so already, I suggest that you try validating and/or super validating your data file.  Please save a backup file prior to performing these steps.

Validate: 

1. File
    2. Validate and Repair File...
    3. Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

If the issue persists, proceed to Super Validate. If the issue is resolved after performing validation, then please disregard the instructions to Super Validate.

Super Validate:

1. File
    2. Hold CTRL + Shift and click Validate and Repair File...
    3. Super Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.   

With how recently the issue started, restoring from a backup may be a viable solution if the Validate/Super Validate does not correct the problem.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• QWinUser
    QWinUser Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Quicken Kristina

I did the Validate and Super Validate, and tried to restore a backup but nothing seems to fix the CC-800 errors. If I try to deactivate and reactivate to fix the issue, I get a CC-503 error on all the affected accounts. I tried to go back to a backup but once I do a OSU the CC-800 errors come back again.

• QWinUser
    QWinUser Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I even tried setting up the accounts in a new data file and I got the CC-503 error.

• QWinUser
    QWinUser Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Quicken Kristina is it possible that my file was hacked? Another user just posted that their balances changed wildly this weekend. The same thing happened to me this weekend. I did a Validate and it seemed to fix it, but when I did my first OSU this morning, I had those CC-800 pop up on all my EWC accounts and I can't seem to fix them.

• QWinUser
    QWinUser Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I have read other posts with this CC-503 error, it seems to happen to a lot of users. They were able to "fix" this error by creating a new Quicken ID.

How easy is it to do this?

• QWinUser
    QWinUser Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Could these CC-503 errors be due to a mismatch of user credentials and FIs somewhere on the Intuit/Quicken servers?

• QWinUser
    QWinUser Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2023
    Options

I figured out what is happening to EWC accounts. Somewhere in the programming and/or Quicken/Intuit servers, FI names and User Names/Passwords are being mismatched. That is why we are seeing more and more users with CC-503 issues on multiple accounts. I have proof of this in my own data file. I brought this up a week or so ago, but no one seemed to care.

• QWinUser
    QWinUser Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Here's proof that this CC-503 Error is a major system or server issue for accounts using EWC.

When I try to fix the CC-503 error there is a mismatch of FIs

After I get the CC-503 Error for Sam's Club, I try to fix the password, but it brings up the credentials for Best Buy.

Here is another example for Optum HSA. I try to fix the CC-503 but it brings up the credentials for Amex.

All five of my accounts that use EWC are like this. I never can sign in because the FI's are not attached to the correct Usernames and passwords.

I have tried several times to alert the moderators of this group. I called Quicken Customer Service twice today but cannot seem to get anyone to understand the severity of this issue.

This is going to be a major disaster if more users are affected by this issue.

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!!!!!

• QWinUser
    QWinUser Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2023
    Options

It also seems to happen to accounts using EWC+, but those seem to be correctable.

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@QWinUser have you tried reporting via the beta channels since you are a beta tester?

It has been my experience that it is difficult if not impossible to get the moderators to pass along any issues to product development.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• QWinUser
    QWinUser Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@mshiggins - I alerted Bree this evening and gave her details. I had let her know that I was having issues, but didn't give her details. She told me that I should contact Quicken Support, which I did twice today. I first noticed this "mismatch" when I converted my Amex accounts from DC to EWC+. One of my Amex accounts was linked to my Optum HSA. Luckily I notice it before I finalized the connection. When this happens to EWC accounts though, there seems to be no where to correct the "mismatch".

• QWinUser
    QWinUser Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Here is a screen print of the Amex "mismatch" with Optum HSA when I converted from DC to EWC+

• QWinUser
    QWinUser Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2023
    Options

@jacobs I contacted Quicken support twice today with no results. They didn't seem to understand the issue. Take a look at my post. I have documented proof that it is a Quicken issue.

[Merged Post]

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited August 2023
    Options

@QWinUser For what it's worth, there's really no way for us as users to know where the problem lies. It may be a Quicken problem, but it could also be a problem with the financial institution. How? Because financial institutions use different servers and prices for connecting with third-party programs than their consumer-facing websites. So sometimes, you can log into a bank or credit card website without problem, but Quicken can't connect because the bank or credit card company's back-end server for connectivity has changed its login protocol or isn't interfacing correctly with the financial institution's primary servers. And if the problem isn't at the financial institution, there's a good chance it's at Intuit, because Quicken pays them to handle connectivity to the financial institutions — so Quicken is often at the mercy of Intuit to get problems resolved. Since the issue seems to affect both Quicken Mac and Quicken Windows users, that makes it pretty certain the problem isn't actually with the Quicken program code, but somewhere upstream with Intuit, the financial institution, or both.

In any case, the problem is that posting here doesn't reach anyone at Quicken who would be responsible for investigating or addressing such a problem. That's why I suggested contacting Quicken Support, because they do have the ability to capture log files, document problems and forward them to their development team. Unfortunately, as with every company, some support representatives are great and helpful and "get it" — and others don't.

[Merged Post]

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • QWinUser
    QWinUser Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2023
    Options

@jacobs I am pretty sure it is a Quicken problem. Go look at my post. I have screen prints showing the issue. The issue is across multiple FI's. I have also contacted Quicken Support several times now with no results.

[Merged Post]

• jacobs
    edited August 2023
    Options

Okay, I don't usually read Quicken Windows threads on this site because I'm a Mac user, so thanks for including the link. I agree that seems truly bizarre. Have you tried creating a test file with a few accounts to see if they work correctly or again get mis-matched the way you have shown them in your live data file?

In any case, posting here isn't likely to get results. It might be helpful to know if other users are seeing the same problems you are; you might want to ask in your Windows thread if other users can document the same problem. Your three channels for reporting a possible bug are:

• Report a Problem in Quicken (including a detailed description and the screen shots you posted in your Quicken Windows thread.
    • Posting the same details in the Quicken Beta forum, since you're a beta tester.
    • Trying again with Quicken Support and hoping to get a representative who sees what you're seeing and understands the issue to properly escalate it to either a Tier 2 support representative or to the development team.

[Merged Post]

• QWinUser
    QWinUser Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2023
    Options

@jacobs I have done all of your bullet points with no results. I contacted Quicken Bree (Beta) and she says she can't help and for me to go to support. When I contact Quicken Support the representative is more interested in going through their scripts and when I try to explain the situation there is silence. Both times I was told to wait 2 hours, or 24 hours and then try again. I have restored my data file multiple times, with the same results. I contacted Bree again yesterday with the detailed screen prints and description of the issue. I am waiting to hear back from @Quicken Bree before I go any further.

[Merged Post]

• QWinUser
    QWinUser Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2023
    Options

@Quicken Kristina - If you look at the screen prints towards the bottom of the thread of the post I attached, you can clearly see that there is a mismatch between FIs and Login/Passwords. There is no way for the user to correct this mismatch. Nor are they able to sign in because the intuit/Quicken server or programming is attaching the wrong credentials to the FI.

[Merged Post]

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    edited August 2023
    Options

Thank you for your reply,

Please keep in mind that the Community is a forum where users help each other and there are a handful of moderators like myself who can do some troubleshooting with you. Posts on the Community are not the same as contacting Quicken Support. A post is not a trouble ticket and a moderator's ability to escalate issues is much more limited than Quicken Support.

That said, I reviewed the screenshots in the other post and they don't show enough information to determine if it's a file specific problem, accounts that were linked incorrectly, or a bug. Your last screenshot shows that the AI guessed wrong when you were linking or adding an account. That does sometimes happen, and it's why it is recommended that you review the Add/Link screen and correct any errors prior to hitting next. The other 2 screenshots show that it is going to a different financial institution's login prompt than one would expect based on the account name, but do not show which financial institution(s) those accounts think they are connected to (visible under Tools>Account List if you have the financial institution column visible, and also visible in the Account Details window, under the General tab).

Thank you.

[Merged Post]

Quicken Kristina

• QWinUser
    QWinUser Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2023
    Options

THere is no place to correct the link. I get a CC-503 error so I can't even log in. The screen prints are from clicking "fix issue" button on that error screen. The FI names are above the box with the wrong sign in.

[Merged Post]

• jacobs
    edited August 2023
    Options

@QWinUser So if you did everything I mentioned, are you saying you did create a test file with some of your accounts? What happened in the test file? Did things work correctly or did you get the same results you're getting in your live data file?

And you submitted it through Report a Problem? Technically, that's the official channel for reporting suspected bugs. It's not interactive, so you won't get a reply — but if they can understand the issue and replicate it, they will document it and pass it to the development team. Of course, it's not very satisfying, because you don't know if (a) they already know, (b) they understand you're report and are passing it on, or (c) they can't replicate the problem and are ignoring the report. And even if they see it and pass it on, there's no way to know if it will be fixed in the next release or languish in their bug database for years.

I understand why you might not want to do this, but I would try again with Support, hoping the third time is the charm. 😀 But if they come up blank again, then I would politely but firmly ask to speak with a Tier 2 or Senior Support representative. They should be able to set up a callback for you sometime next week at a time that's convenient to you. If the support rep refuses to escalate it, I'd then (again politely) ask to speak to the rep's supervisor. If they completely refuse to do anything, I don't know what more you can do, other than hope this is something Quicken is already aware of and will have fixed in the not too distant future. Sorry I can't suggest any help beyond that!

[Merged Post]

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Thank you for your response @QWinUser,

I moved our discussion back over here since we're discussing the issue in this thread.

When you go to Tools>Account List, click the Edit button next to the account, and look at the General tab, does the financial institution name it shows there match the financial institution that is coming up when you are clicking the "fix issue" button?

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

• QWinUser
    QWinUser Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2023
    Options

No the FI name on the Genral Tab did not match up with that pop up box that came up when I tried to fix the CC-503 issue. I have the correct FI names attached to the correct accounts on Quicken. It is that pop up box that had the wrong FI. I also verified that this mismatch was happening by clicking on the little key by the FI names on the OSU screen. When I clicked on the key, and then clicked on "change user name or password" the wrong FI came up for each of the five accounts that I was having issues with. So that then confirmed for me that there was an issue with the system.

• QWinUser
    QWinUser Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

UPDATE - 8/4 4:42 pm CT - After waiting the 24 hrs per the instructions from yesterday's call to Quicken Customer Support, I tried resetting my 5 EWC accounts and they all produced a CC-929 error. Yesterday I was getting CC-503 errors on EWC accounts. I know that the CC-929 means too many sign on attempts, but I hadn't tried signing on since the call yesterday.

I just got off the phone with Quicken Customer Support. They have escalated the issue 2 levels. I am supposed to get a call back from their technical team on the next steps to take to fix this issue.

• QWinUser
    QWinUser Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@jacobs - have have taken all the steps you described. When this "Incorrect Password" error first started on 8/1, I created a test file and tried to add the 5 accounts, and it still produced a CC-503 error on each. So that told me that it wasn't a data file issue. I sent several "Report a problem" to tech support since 8/1, the last one being today.

Yes, I am hoping that the third time is the charm. Each time I called, the representative they were doing what they were supposed to and doing the best they could, but I had the distinct feeling that they were just "going to the motions" not really understanding the issue. But today's call I'm hoping was different, and will produce results, since it was escalated, and I am waiting for a call back.

• QWinUser
    QWinUser Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2023
    Options

UPDATE 8/7/23 5:17 pm ct - I just got off the phone with Quicken Customer Service. I had gotten an e-mail this morning that my CC-929 issues have been resolved, that I just read this afternoon. I called and tried to explain to them the my issue was CC-503 error on all of my accounts using EWC, and the CC-929 errors were just a ramification of trying to sign in too many times.

I am still having an issue with the CC-503 error on 5 accounts. I reiterated to the Quicken Customer Service agent that I can sign into all of my FIs without any problem, so I know my credentials I am using for Quicken are correct. I also reiterated that having a password issue with one or even two FIs is understandable but there has to be something else going on if it's 5 different accounts, with 4 FIs. Bottom line, my issue now has been escalated to Tier 3. I even have the name of the programmer working on the issue. So hopefully now, a resolution can be found.

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Thank you for your response,

Thank you for coming back and posting an update. Please let us know how it turns out.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

• QWinUser
    QWinUser Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Quicken Kristina you are very welcome. I am determined to follow this through to a solution and I will definitely keep posting updates on progress.

This discussion has been closed.